Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

running multiple extruders simultaneously for filament blending.

Posted by EljefedsecurIT 
running multiple extruders simultaneously for filament blending.
June 03, 2015 01:38AM
I wanted to know if the repetier firmware and repetier host supports sending extrusion codes to multiple extruders simultaneously. not just codes to each extruder but be able to have all 3 divide up the extrusion by some percentage, and then apply that in steps to each motor, to achieve a specific color from the original 3MF or AMF file?
Re: running multiple extruders simultaneously for filament blending.
June 03, 2015 01:04PM
Yes, this is supported by repetier-firmware. You need to set MIXING_EXTRUDER 1 then you have 16 virtual extruders selectable like normal extruders. For each you can set a mixing ratio. See documentaion in doc folder of firmware.

Host supports this partially. You can set weights in eeprom. You can slice with CuraEngine with up to 16 extruders, but you have to use extruder starting from 0. You can not start at 3 and use 6 and 9. So you would have to set colors to extruders 1,2,3 and use these for slicing.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 03, 2015 03:19PM
wow ok that is good news... given that I'm having some issues with a good Cura print, would you know if Slic3r handles it similarly?

I am assuming you meant, 0,1,2 not 1,2, 3? or physical 1(0), 2(1), 3(2) smiling smiley

nvm read your doc...i do have a couple of clarifying questions given that there would be up to virtual 1-16 extruders, i would technically have 16 pre-set colors, but cura sees them starting a 0-15, is that right?

and, for me to be able to usemultiple virtual extruders vN, for example, v3, i would need to print using v0,v1,v2 first? or, i just need to make sure i have 0,1,2 defined if i want to use 3, have 3,4,5 define to use 6, etc?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2015 01:04AM by EljefedsecurIT.
June 04, 2015 03:23AM
In host extruders are numbered from 1 on and firmware starts with T0 so I mean always starting with lowest depending on numbering.

Having no mixing extruder I have no big experience with multicolor prints, so I can not say how slic3r handles it. But it is of course unimportant which slicer you use. The trick with virtual extruders hides the fact for the slicer so for slicers it is simply a printer with many extruders.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
July 26, 2015 02:38PM
Ok I am finally coming back around to this question about mixing extruders,

if I understand the doc right, I would need to set 3 sets of M163 settings for each extruder's weight, and then an M164 to assign it to a virtual extruder, to set this up with 3 virtual extruders, each mapped to the physical extruders, is that correct?

if there a way to configure this in the config file instead of the eeprom config? (just checking/feature request?)

Also, is it really S for the physical ones as well as the virtual ones? is that the same numbering for the virtuals? how do you tell them apart in the code? (E vs S?) does EEPROM simply override the physicals with the virtuals when one sets MIXING_EXTRUDER 1?

since I have 3 physical filaments, I am assuming I want to map those first. Assuming that 3d filament is more subtractive color (like ink) and not additive color, (like light), so I would need CMY(k) color theory:

M163 S0 P100
M163 S1 P0
M163 S2 P0

M164 S0 - (assume magenta)

M163 S0 P0
M163 S1 P100
M163 S2 P0
M164 S1 - (assume Yellow)

M163 S0 P0
M163 S1 P0
M163 S2 P100

M164 S2 - (assume cyan)

Key(black) might be:
M163 S0 P34
M163 S1 P33
M163 S2 P33

M164 S3 - (assuming black?)

and then from there...
I could map S4-6 with the primary order colors(red, green, blue),
S7-9 to secondary colors (Orange, Violet, Aqua),
S10-12 to tertiary colors (Rose (magenta-red), Chartreuse (cyan-green) , Azure (cyan-blue)
S13-15 to 2nd tertiary blends russet brown (orange-purple), grey slate (purple-green), Citron (green-orange)

if this theory holds up, that would be the ideal color wheel for the extruders, assuming key comes out as black as black can be...

if this holds true, that's ~64 commands I would need to configure, just to set up the 16 virtual extruders...

(this would be so much easier in a gcode script smiling smiley
August 07, 2019 09:23AM
Hi

I have built a printer that has 5 separate extruders attached, i'm running repetier and i want to use each extruder to print one layer of the object and then move on to the next extruder until all 5 have individually printed. Then return to the original extruder and start again.

Can some one tell me how to set this up in repetier please.

cheers

jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login