Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't get infill to connect

Posted by icius 
Can't get infill to connect
August 05, 2015 03:18AM
Hello all,

I'm printing on an original Mendel and I'm at my wits end....

Here is a picture of my problem:

No matter what I do I can't get the infill to connect to the inner wall of this object. The red circle shows just how far away it is. This seems to only be a problem in the X axis direction infill. I have literally spent weeks tweaking, calibrating, checking. My belt is tight, my steps are correct, my X carriage moves smoothly. I have played with every firmware setting I can imagine would possibly affect this.

As I watch the print I can see that the nozzle just doesn't move close enough to the inner wall to connect. It is driving me mad.

This problem occurs in KISSlicer, Slic3r and Cura so it is not a slicer issue.

I have to assume it is either something wrong with my machine or something is wrong with my Repetier settings. I have tried slowing down to a crawl, adjusting X acceleration, jerk, countless temperature and extrusion factor combinations. Nothing seems to fix it, or even affect it. That X carriage just won't move far enough to connect the infill. It changes direction too soon.

I'm out of ideas and sanity. Please help me figure out how to diagnose this. I have attached my firmware settings as well if that helps. I just don't know where to go from here.

reprap.xml

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 03:24AM by icius.
Re: Can't get infill to connect
August 07, 2015 08:30AM
Just trying to understand more about how motions work in Repetier (or any firmware for that matter). So let's say the machine is moving to connect an infill section with a wall in the positive X direction. I have to imagine there are several complicated things going on like:

Deceleration
Determining where to stop
Jerk Calculation
Stopping
Reversing Direction
Acceleration

If the machine is working correctly, what can I expect to see? Does the nozzle move to the exact X coordinate of the inner wall to connect the infill (or the coordinate plus the infill overlap?) Or does it do something more complicated like take into account filament ooze/squish and stop a bit short to let the filament fill the gap?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login