Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer shift in Repetier-Server, but fine in Repetier-Host

Posted by pizzachef 
Layer shift in Repetier-Server, but fine in Repetier-Host
June 13, 2016 02:15PM
I have been successfully printing with Repetier-Host for a few months now with a Folgertech Prusa i3 2020 using Marlin firmware.
Just recently I tried to use Repetier-Server to control the printer remotely. Setting up the server went pretty smoothly and I am able to connect to the printer, send commands, execute a print, etc. But my prints have errors where a layer will begin in the wrong location, and from there on the print is incorrect. This happens when printing from Repetier-Server as well as Repetier-Host (when connected through RS). But if I connect Repetier-Host directly to the printer (serial connection, using USB ) it prints fine just like it has been for the last few months. The preview in Repetier-Host (again, connected thru Repetier-Server) looks correct, the gcode file is correct when examined in a gcode analyzer. But RS keeps printing with the layers shifted. And it is not repeatable, I printed this same part a few times and the layers shifted at different Z locations.
The connection settings for Repetier-Server are the same as those for Repetier-Host, when Host is connected directly to the printer.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 10:03PM by pizzachef.

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160613_123234911.jpg (208.3 KB)
open | download - IMG_20160613_123158772.jpg (201.5 KB)
Re: Layer shift in Repetier-Server, but fine in Repetier-Host
July 11, 2016 07:05AM
Positions are send in absolute coordinates. So even with missed lines the position would not shift and I have personally not seen such shifts with server. So the question is what causes the shift. Is it a command causing printer to loose steps (which should normally be prevented by firmware) e.g. with a communication error causing wrong moves hitting end of printer, some coordinate shift (G92 but where whould it come from). What I have seen sometimes was extruder switches when com error contains e.g. T1 without checksum. I'm sure we are not sending wrong commands - what reaches firmware and firmware then does is a different thing. If you can enable echo commands in firmware for testing and log communication. Then you should see what we send and what firmware received. I guess it differs when the problem occurs. This would allow further analysis of how to fix it.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
July 11, 2016 05:48PM
repetier
...If you can enable echo commands in firmware for testing and log communication. Then you should see what we send and what firmware received. I guess it differs when the problem occurs. This would allow further analysis of how to fix it.

Thank you for the tip on how to start troubleshooting. I will look for how to echo commands and log communication in the marlin firmware and do another test print. Hopefully something will show up.

July 12, 2016 03:31AM
Logging was meant for server - firmware can not log. Server has in printer context menu a log function to enable logging for prints.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
July 12, 2016 09:54PM
When viewing the server front end screen the menu button (with three horizontal lines) there is an option for Print Logs. In that option screen, there are two checkboxes. One for "Log Communication When Idle" and the other for "Log Communication When Printing".
I will check both of these boxes and then try a test print (will be a few days, not at home this week).
For logging a print from Repetier-Host, should I clear the log at the bottom of the screen, let the job print, then copy that log into a text file? Is that what I would be comparing to the Server log?

Thanks again so much for the troubleshooting help!
Also, I just saw that Repetier has a firmware as well! I had not really looked into other firmwares, my printer came with marlin and it worked so I never really looked at alternates. But I will try Repetier-Firmware when I have some time.

July 13, 2016 03:26AM
One thing you could do is disable lcd time preview. Some Marlin versions can not cope with the : in the time strings. Showing layer only would solve it if the problem comes from this in combination maybe with a com error.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login