Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gathering Interest

Posted by WildBill 
Gathering Interest
May 21, 2012 05:43PM
I am willing to print part sets and setup group buys to build more repraps in the area. If you are interested in helping/joining please let me know, you can find me on IRC and occasionally in the forums.

Thanks,
wildBill
Re: Gathering Interest
May 24, 2012 12:24PM
I would like to do the build based on either the new i3 or a mendel90, I will let everyone who is interested weigh in on the topic.
May 25, 2012 10:24AM
I have not taken a look at either design yet, but will shortly. What are the benefits to either design over the prusa (what I am more familiar with)?

Also what electronics, firmware, and hotend do you plan on using?
May 25, 2012 11:49AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the Prusa threaded rod trapezoidal frame.

Both of those printers are more rigid, less prone to racking, easier to assemble, and take less time to calibrate and will not lose calibration so easily.

Firmware would be Marlin (for features)

Electronics planned on Azteeg X1 (for cost)

Hotend planned on JHead (for reliability and cost)

I am open to suggestions!

This will take time to organize, I have only started to communicate with vendors. To make it cost effective for those interested we will need a minimum of 10 people or teams interested in building printers. We can possibly rent the conference room at the hotel downtown for the weekend build, but may not be affordable. Is there a community center we can talk to someone about utilizing?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2012 12:10PM by WildBill.
May 26, 2012 07:22PM
I found the Mendal90, and I see what you mean. That is SOLID, and should be a bit quicker as well with the boards. I still have not found any info on the Prusa i3. If you could post a link that would rock.

As for vendor's let me know what you are looking to get machined. The company Stu and I work for has a sister company who is a machine shop. We also have an extreamly good machinest down at our factory in souther mn as well. Depending on the amount and what you are looking for we might be able to pull a string or two and help out.
May 28, 2012 08:24AM
Josef hasn't released the i3 just yet and I'm not sure if he wants me sharing info in the forum about it until he officially releases it. I'll PM you some stuff.
May 31, 2012 01:50PM
If a prusa is prefered with the general public, I keep an up-to-date US sourcing notepad on titanpad.com @ [titanpad.com] for the cheapest sources I can find for items. May come in handy for other variants too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login