Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cleveland RepRap User Group

Posted by lothar22 
Cleveland RepRap User Group
April 05, 2012 03:31PM
Welcome to the Cleveland RepRap User Group!

For people in the Cleveland area wanting to share their knowledge of RepRaps.

Post a message if you are near Cleveland!
Count me in. Rep Rap is great!
I would like to find someone who can print me the parts needed to go with a kit so as I may build a RepRap Pro. I find the kits listed in multiple places but none offer the printed parts needed.
Re: Cleveland RepRap User Group
April 19, 2012 12:11AM
From what I've seen, the RepRap Pro is a "for purchase" kit, and is under development (not tested).

Any reason you want to build it instead of the PRUSA, which has been proven to work?

If you really want to build the RepRap Pro, I would be happy to print the parts for it for a nominal fee (cost of plastic plus a little for my time), if you can find the .STL files for it.
April 24, 2012 07:23AM
Hello,

The full kits (inc printed parts) are listed on our website. Or if you are able to obtain the printed parts from elsewhere we have the hardware kits on there too. Mendel - [www.reprappro.com] or Huxley - [www.reprappro.com]

Best wishes
Sally
Just thought I'd send out a hello from Collins OH - northeast area. Just waiting for my parts to arrive. Building a prusa - first reprap... Can't Wait!!!
June 12, 2012 09:39PM
Awesome!

Welcome!

Our PRUSA has been printing for about 4 months now.
When you have questions, and you will, don't hesitate to post them here.
September 01, 2012 01:45PM
Hello Lothar, old friend. Glad to see your presence and thanks for generating a Cleveland User's group. Now to get some traffic.

I'll try to post some resource links as they come. Still waiting for those last pieces-parts and chewing on how to make it better from the start. Wish I was as gung-ho as you guys have been but I get caught on too many years of having to do everything "right the first time" by the companies I've worked for. Meh, it should piece a piece of art when it's built. and I expect you guys to give me the proper amount of "sh__" if it isn't. winking smiley

Looks like mid Sept before first print.

Thanks again for introducing me to this project and helping me get involved.

Near East Side Clevo just up the hill from CWRU and Lil' Italy
John Wolter
October 06, 2012 02:15PM
I'm the advisor to the Berea High School Robotics Team. Some of my students have expressed interest in building a RepRap. After a grand total of 45 minutes of research, I'm thinking the Prusa would be a good place to start. What's everyone's experience in acquiring the parts, that is, is it best to go with a pre-packaged kit, or bits and pieces from various sources? Is there anyone who might want to do a demo on a Thursday afternoon in Berea?
December 10, 2012 10:18PM
Hello from North Ridgeville.

Building a Prusa. All purchased, must wait for X-mass....

15 days or so to buildingsmoking smiley
December 13, 2012 02:57PM
John,

Terribly sorry for not getting back to you. Work/life tends to get in the way sometimes.
Anyway, a friend and I researched which RepRap to build for a few months.
We decided on the PRUSA as well, as it has some definite improvements over the original mendel, without increasing cost.

We acquired the parts in the following manner:

Printed parts: We bought ours from an individual on ebay for $60.00. Since it is a school, we could print them for you for just the cost of the plastic (maybe $15.00).

Vitamins (threaded rods, nuts, bolts, etc): We bought a kit for the threaded and smooth rods, but if you have the means to cut 8mm threaded and smooth rod easily, then order long rods from McMaster-Carr and cut them yourself. For the rest of the vitamins, we ordered from McMaster-Carr.

Electronics: We used an ARM chip and built the board ourselves, but there are pre-built reprap boards available. This will probably be the most expensive part of the printer.
This is the most popular pre-built board:
[reprap.org]

Electrical components: End-stops, thermistors. Local Radioshack or electronics hobby store, or on-line.

Power supply: 500w computer power supply. Microcenter.

Filament: ABS or PLA.
Both are available on-line from a number of resources.

Local resource for filament and various components (hot end kit, thermistors, etc), as well as complete kits.
[www.makergear.com]

I hope this helps, and again, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.
If you have not found another resource for a demo, I'm sure my friend and I would be very interested in scheduling one.

Thanks,
Chris

John Wolter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm the advisor to the Berea High School Robotics
> Team. Some of my students have expressed interest
> in building a RepRap. After a grand total of 45
> minutes of research, I'm thinking the Prusa would
> be a good place to start. What's everyone's
> experience in acquiring the parts, that is, is it
> best to go with a pre-packaged kit, or bits and
> pieces from various sources? Is there anyone who
> might want to do a demo on a Thursday afternoon in
> Berea?
December 13, 2012 02:58PM
Hello Qsilver,

Excellent!
Let us know if you have any questions, and you will.

Qsilver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello from North Ridgeville.
>
> Building a Prusa. All purchased, must wait for
> X-mass....
>
> 15 days or so to buildingsmoking smiley
December 30, 2012 02:21AM
Hello Cleveland!!

I'm building my first MendelMax, anyone else?

Happy Holidays,
Will
December 30, 2012 12:38PM
Starting building my Prusa V2..

I bought palin steel 8mm threaded rods.
Read a few places that the galvanized can gum, up in the Z's..
The plain steel with oil is filthy dirty. thumbs down

Rich.
Anonymous User
January 04, 2013 06:37AM
I'm building the prusa i3. Should be done soon. Plus I've got a couple V2's and a cupcake. My robot army is self-replicating. Just hope they don't become self-aware.
January 07, 2013 04:55PM
Posted following as a "new Post" but probably should have been part of this one.

Building a printer of my own design.

Have cut parts at LCCC and purchased electronics from Printrbot.
Used rods from old printers and misc hardware from hardware store.

Final parts to buy are timing belt pulleys and belts. Have found some on line at reasoanable prices but shipping costs kill you.

Are there any places to buy where total price is reasonable?

Need four (4) XL or GT2 pullies with about five (5) feet of belt.

If a good STL file can be obtained I can print the pulleys at LCCC and would not have to worry about shipping.

Thanks for any response.

Nick

PS Are there meetings for 3D printer groups in the area?
Anonymous User
February 01, 2013 09:57PM
Not the same thing as a user group, but sounds like fun.
MWRRF
March 26, 2013 12:32AM
Hi everyone, I'm also in North Ridgeville.
I'm awaiting Prusa parts from makerfarm.com. Just visited the LCCC Fab Lab for the first time. Really excited to get printing.
April 03, 2014 04:24PM
Wow. I haven't been to this site in awhile, it's nice to see something finally pop up in Cleveland. I'm in Strongsville. I have a few 3d printers laying around and a bunch of other equipment. One of them is a Prusa that I had quite a bit of success with... I would be happy to share my experience.
July 20, 2014 05:04PM
I'm on the Eastside and getting set to build a 3DR printer. There's a group of us from work planning to complete 5 printers total. I need to get the first one going so I can print the parts for the other four. I have the hardware on order and I need help on the plastics.

I can print most of the small stuff on the MakerBot at the Cleveland Library. Problem is you are limited to two hours print time and several (12) of my larger parts exceed the two hour limit.

CWRU has printers available, but it's going to cost about $15 per part for those last twelve.

I'm looking for someone in the area that might be willing to help me out. I'm happy to pay for the PLA and any wear and tear on the device. If someone is interested in building a 3DR, you are welcome to join our little club. The more of us in it, the cheaper the parts get. Right now, we are looking at $300/printer (plus plastics).

Please send me a private message if you can lend a hand and we can touch base via email.

Thanks

RDM128
December 20, 2014 09:09PM
Started building an i3 rework with aluminum frame. I am going to modify it for a single Z axis motor, probably belt driven from the top. I have built and worked on many cnc milling machines, lathes, machining centers, and turning centers. My experience tells me to counterweight the Z axis when using a single small stepper. Any thoughts on this or recommendations on Z drive/pulley systems?

On stepper motor benchtop cnc'd machines leadscrew pitch is really critical. Is it the same on a Reprap?
September 05, 2015 08:02PM
I live in Medina Ohio (which is halfway between Cleveland and Akron) I have been loking for a 3d printers club, group, meeting. Is there any in this area? I have a Prusa I3 and I am building a smoothie powered delta. Is anyone still active?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login