Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantillus support forum

Posted by Sublime 
Tantillus support forum
May 16, 2012 04:41AM
Welcome to the Tantillus support forum on the RepRap.org forums.

I have decided against creating a dedicated forum for Tantillus on Tantillus.org to ensure that Tantillus users participate in the RepRap project. I hope we can all learn together and benefit from the work on all variations of machines that have spawned from that first Darwin in 2007.

Please feel free to ask questions, post pictures of your build or whatever else you feel is needed.

Thanks,
Brad

What is Tantillus?
Visit RepRap Wiki and Tantillus.org for more info.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Tantillus support forum
May 16, 2012 08:58AM
Nice choice to add a Tantillus subforum than start a separate thing elsewhere smiling smiley

(in comparison I think it wasn't such a good choice for the eMaker Huxley, as it's like starting everything over, not to mention the multiplication of accounts)
May 16, 2012 08:53PM
Sublime,
You made the right choice. I'm excited to see your Indiegogo campaign, I hope you make your goal! I plan to start printing the case this weekend.
May 16, 2012 09:11PM
Mkouri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime,
> You made the right choice. I'm excited to see your
> Indiegogo campaign, I hope you make your goal! I
> plan to start printing the case this weekend.

Thanks,

Be aware that every attempt at printing it in ABS has failed. I have included a special version that has cut outs in it designed to relieve stress but they too warped and cracked.

I would highly recommend printing it in PLA.

Also you need a well calibrated machine to print most of the other parts.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
May 16, 2012 09:25PM
I saw the ABS files, but was planning on using PLA anyway. I'm thinking Ultimachine green transluscent. I will take pictures as I go. I think my Sells Mendel is tuned fairly well.
Any specs on the stepper motors to be used? I know Nema-17 but the length of the motor bodies and shaft lengths can vary. So a dimension spec might be nice in such a compact machine. Just so I buy the correct ones.

Also add the motors and specs to the BOM
Thanks
dave
May 18, 2012 11:43AM
Good luck, Mkouri!

I failed at printing it in Nuclear Green ABS on a MakerBot but would love to see a translucent green one in PLA! Now that my Prusa is up and running, I really should try at least one panel piece to see if it can print it better than my MakerBot did:

[johnbiehler.com]
May 18, 2012 01:38PM
davelandia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any specs on the stepper motors to be used? I
> know Nema-17 but the length of the motor bodies
> and shaft lengths can vary. So a dimension spec
> might be nice in such a compact machine. Just so
> I buy the correct ones.
>
> Also add the motors and specs to the BOM
> Thanks
> dave

I will get on that today, expect to see them on the BOM, FAQ's and Wiki by the end of my day.

In the mean time I will tell you here.

Nema 17 no longer than 40mm is recommended because they will hit the build platform unless you notch the corners of the platform. And if it is a printed bot the extruder motor should be short as well unless you want to cut a notch in the recommended bottom plate. A longer motor on Z could also limit your build height by a mm or two.

The shaft length does not have to be long, the motors I am using have 16mm long shafts (no shorter will work).

The extruder motor is the only one that needs lots of torque. I am using 59 oz/inch (.42N-m) motors.

Gears will be available in 4mm (5/32") and 5mm shaft sizes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login