Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What am i missing? I dont get it.

Posted by GITRDUN 
What am i missing? I dont get it.
June 06, 2012 10:39PM
First off im not here to bash anything im just trying to wrap my wee brain around this idea. Why or how is it better to have a complete printed frame rather than use all thread such as a Prusa? Only thing i can think of that you are replacing from a standard design is the all thread frame, still need the ground rods for the ways and all. I mean it just cant get any easier to build from scratch than to buy basic all thread with a bunch of nuts and washers and print out a dozen or so parts and assemble it together, can it? I love the looks of this little thing and its cool to say i made all that, but is it really beneficial or cost productive when the price of a 9ft. of all thread at the hardware store is maybe what, $15?

So what am i missing whats the benefit? Is it the idea of having less parts that have to be purchased thus a higher % of the total parts being printed parts?
Re: What am i missing? I dont get it.
June 06, 2012 10:52PM
The "ultimate goal" of RepRap is to replicate as much of the 3d printer with the 3d printer itself.

In that spirit, the Tantillus is better than a Prusa since it requires less "vitamins". Another benefit of the design in the Tantillus is that the side panels can be printed on a 3D printer or cut from wood/acrylic/etc sheets on a CNC router.

On the other hand, the advantage of the Prusa is that it's easier to find threaded rods and nuts in any hardware store around the world.

It would be interesting to know the cost difference between a Prusa (threaded rods+printed parts) vs Tantillus (printed panels+printed parts) vs Tantillus (CNC'ed panels+printed parts).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 01:05AM by Yvan256.
June 07, 2012 01:56AM
The case is far stiffer than a Prusa.
The mechanism is far more precise than the system used on Mendel variants.
The actual cost of plastic in the machine is just a little more than the threaded rod in a Mendel. And will cost far less once we figure out a granule extruder. All the cost in the campaign ones is for the machine time to print them, but once you have a machine you can make copies for the cost of materials.
It looks cooler than threaded rod and your family will not make you keep it in the garage.
It is portable. I have taken it all kinds of places, even restaurants and no one think you are bringing in an industrial piece of equipment.

You say:

Only thing i can think of that you are replacing from a standard design is the all thread frame, still need the ground rods for the ways and all.

Which is not really true. The only thing similar are the smooth rods and bearings. The mechanism is nothing like that found on any other machine except an Ultimaker and that uses special parts only available through them or special order. Tanitillus uses only common readily available parts available almost anywhere in the world.

I mean it just cant get any easier to build from scratch than to buy basic all thread with a bunch of nuts and washers and print out a dozen or so parts and assemble it together, can it?

If this was true you would not find hundreds of posts about how people should build a Mendel Max because the threaded rod is a nightmare. (I don't feel this way but a lot of people do)

Yvan256 said:

On the other hand, the advantage of the Prusa is that it's easier to find threaded rods and nuts in any hardware store around the world.

True you can buy those at a hardware store, but if you have a 3D printer already you should already have plastic which means Tantillus is easier because you don't even need to leave your house.

The entire machine started as a project for me and not to sell. That is when I designed the printed machine and made the case fully printed just because I could and no one else had successfully done it. The goal was to create a machine that was portable, could print as much of itself as possible and improve print quality if possible. This is what I was able to achieve. None of my goals were to lower costs. It has been proven over and over that cheap machines print like cheap machines.

The cost difference of a Laser cut acrylic machine and a printed one is dramatic. The laser cut panels to have one set cut costs a lot. Places like Ponoko want $160 plus shipping just for the panels. The printed case on the other hand costs very little, Nopheads printed case used 800g of plastic.

Hope this covers everything. And in closing I would like to repeat the most important thing. A machine made of threaded rod is about as stiff as a wet noodle. This is why Nophead created the Mendel 90. It is also why people like the Mendel Max and why the highest quality prints come from machines like the Ultimaker and Tantillus.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 07, 2012 06:22PM
Everything has a plus and negetive to it, i like your idea of a printed case rather than a bunch of ugly all thread tied together. If nothing else it just looks slick and much more professional and hey if it works as good or better why not. I may just build one myself someday. Good luck with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login