Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantillus with belts

Posted by Sublime 
Tantillus with belts
July 12, 2013 01:53PM
I found a picture of printed case Tantillus that uses belts in place of the cables. [translate.google.com]

The page is in Polish so I have provided a link to it through google translate. If any of you speak Polish could you ask them for the files for the X/Y ends and any other part that has been modified from the original. I am sure there are lots of people that would like to make a Tantillus but are afraid of the cables (the best part IMHO).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 04:59PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Tantillus with belts
July 12, 2013 10:45PM
That's a very nice build. I really like the aesthetics of teeth and gears and timing belts, but one of the main reasons I went with the Tantillus was the cables.

I looked at hundreds (probably thousands) of prints online and it looked like belt driven printers produced a ringing artifact at sharp corners. I did not see that artifact on acme screw and cable drive setups.

My cnc uses leadscrews, works great for that application, but even the 2 lead screws with 3.5A motors don't come close in speed to the cable drive on the Tantillus. Then there's the issue of acceleration with a cnc that moves around 20 lbs of z axis, although I'm pretty sure it would be possible to design a screw driven printer with lower mass.

The cables (aka fishing line) is a very elegant, simple, ingenious and cheap solution. Simple and cheap being extremely important.

But to get back to the question I want to ask. I know that there are belts with kevlar and other inserts to make sure there's no stretching, so where's the ringing coming from on belt driven printers? Or is the ringing an artifact from other design issues, and not a fault of belts?
Re: Tantillus with belts
July 13, 2013 01:57AM
Well most of the ringing is a result of the mass of the moving bed and carriage making the motors act like springs. Also the backlash you see at high speeds on those same type of machines seems like a combination of the motors acting like springs plus the rubber between the pulley and the cords of the belt allowing a small amount of play when you change direction at high speeds. This meas to eliminate these issues you need to have the acceleration slow and the jerk slow which has the effect of slow corners that are slightly blobby and not as crisp as you are getting on Tantillus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 02:41AM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login