Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Squaring and Tensioning woes

Posted by Nick101 
Squaring and Tensioning woes
August 10, 2013 10:28PM
Hi everybody! I've been working on my Tantillus build and have hit a snag when trying to square and tension the X/Y cables. After positioning the XY carriage in the front left corner, I pull the loose end tight and then slide the carriage forward and back a couple times and repeat. The second time I try to tighten the loose end, I end up with so much slack I end up pulling the knotted end right through the holes and out the other side. Anyone else run into this problem?

I've also somehow managed to crack one of the other X/Y ends. It's still together and still moves as a unit but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could mend this before it gets worse?
Re: Squaring and Tensioning woes
August 11, 2013 02:49AM
If the crack is right above the rod then I would not worry. It has happened to others at times and the machines work just fine for a long time.

If it keeps slipping then it may be that you are pulling the loop through under the washer which results in the washer not actually holding the cable. If it is both sides of one axis then you can just move the entire assembly. If it is just one side then you can tie an extra knot or add a wrap to the rod which will shorten the cable.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 11, 2013 11:28PM
Thanks for the tip about moving the entire axis! Worked perfectly. I'll keep an eye on the crack on the XY end and hopefully be able to print a couple of spares before it gives out smiling smiley
August 12, 2013 01:50AM
Should their be any slack at all in the tensed cables? I'm noticing that I turn the axis gear approximately ten degrees before the carriage starts moving when changing movement directions.
August 12, 2013 11:44AM
No they should be musically tight (fairly high pitch). You then may need to move the carriage back and forth and then re-tension. You may need to repeat that a few times depending on the stretch of the cables and the alignment of the wraps on the rods.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 14, 2013 11:48AM
Thanks for the help Sublime. Tightened things up and it's much more responsive now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login