Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Modified Tantillus!!

Posted by Dignen 
Modified Tantillus!!
June 10, 2014 11:17AM
I built a Tantillus that I modified to use with belts instead of Spectra line. It also has a pretty low profile extruder built into the case. Check it out. I have .STLs of all my custom parts if you are interested.

Here is a link with pictures!

[cgi.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 01:05PM by Dignen.
Re: Modified Tantillus for sale!
June 10, 2014 12:07PM
Can you please post all the modified parts since it is a legal requirement of GPL based designs. I would prefer if you forked it on github to make it easier for others to find but ultimately where is up to you as long as they can be found with minimal searching. Also I do not believe this is the appropriate section to post for sale items since there is a specific part of the forum to post for sale ads.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Modified Tantillus!!
June 10, 2014 01:22PM
Here are the changes I made. The axis caps were only because I accidentally ordered the wrong length from Misumi.

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 01:48PM by Dignen.
Attachments:
open | download - Extruder Bowden-side.stl (21.8 KB)
open | download - Extruder Lever.stl (47.8 KB)
open | download - Ramps 1.4 Hinged Mount.stl (103.5 KB)
open | download - X & Y Axis Caps.stl (19 KB)
open | download - X & Y Axis Ends.stl (159.6 KB)
open | download - X & Y Axis Idler Pulleys.stl (56.5 KB)
June 11, 2014 05:22AM
Great job, This is something I have fantisized about. Talk about easy maintainance. I guess you have some belt tensioning or something going on in there.

I think you will lose a little X,Y resolution as the spectra runs on effectively a smaller shaft than the belt does. To get the X,Y resolution back and get rid of the gears for a pure belt drive you could do a 2 or 3 to 1 belt stage that replaces the gears.

I really like the simplicity of the filament feeder. I think it would be advantagous to make the boweden shorter .e.g move the feeder. I have mucgh better retractions and less hysteresis now mine is moved.

Cable tieing the board in is a great idea too. Those boards are so tight on room for m3 bolts.
June 11, 2014 10:25AM
I'm also playing with the idea of moving my extruder and would like to employ a similar setup to this. Robonz, where have you found to be the most effective placement for it? Also, could you explain a bit more your idea of a "2 or 3 to 1 belt stage that replaces the gears"?
June 11, 2014 10:53AM
Hi Nick

I have my extruder set up like this

I put the filament spool behind the machine and out the way, The filament follows its natural curve so flows through the bowden smoothly. The bowden tube is shorter for less fricton and smoother retracts. The bowden is kept as circular as possible for the lowest friction path.

As for the belt gearing you can see my belt tantillus here
Just imagine the bottom pulley is smaller than the top pulley for gearing.

Cheers
Keith
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login