Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A new design of the tantillus lasercut case

Posted by leonal 
A new design of the tantillus lasercut case
August 13, 2014 12:08PM
I want to design a new lasercut case for tantillus , some features including:
1. have top and bottom cover (much more like the classic printed case.)
2. have mounting site for lcd2004 smart control (replacement of old 2 line lcd)
3. have a SD card slot in left side
4. USB site in backside, the classic one is difficult to plug in and out usb wire.
5. A raspberry pi mounting site?
6. and camera mounting site?

If you want some other addons , let me know and I'll think about adding it.
to let you get an overview , I attached the new case pictures
Something like the following :

I also want to give it a new name , so be easily identified with classic tantillus , any idea?
Re: A new design of the tantillus lasercut case
August 16, 2014 10:18AM
Some more pictures with good rendering , I've also attached a Smart Control LCD and a direct extruder I reworked from Compact Bowden Extruder (thing#275593), the extruder is mounted with old two up holes with one mount plate designed by myself.

No one interest with this version ? it is much more easy to build and it does not need any printed corners.
August 17, 2014 04:59AM
I am interested in dibond version with nonscrew Z.
Dibond 3mm is available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 05:00AM by karabas.
August 17, 2014 06:23AM
leonal
No one interest with this version ? it is much more easy to build and it does not need any printed corners.

It's no longer a Tantillus, then, right? There are many sheet-box designs already. I always considered the full printability to be the key feature.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 26, 2014 10:47AM
As the extruder changed , now it has space to mount a raspberry pi and pi camera . so remote printing can be supported by tantillus.

raspberry pi just under the new extruder.

a printed pi camera mount attached in the case.
August 26, 2014 11:26AM
this is optional feature , another two key features:
1. tiny and small , so portable.
2. string drive , so precise.

Traumflug
leonal

It's no longer a Tantillus, then, right? There are many sheet-box designs already. I always considered the full printability to be the key feature.
August 26, 2014 11:27AM
dibond version with nonscrew Z? Which one?

karabas
I am interested in dibond version with nonscrew Z.
Dibond 3mm is available.
August 29, 2014 11:03PM
Hi,

Sorry to point this out but I'm afraid that it won't be easier to assemble than the regular acrylic case model. The hardest step in reguard to assembley is getting the cables on and tensioned. Everyone seems to agree that the printed version is more challenging than the acrylic case because of the lip on the top of the case. The lip on the top of your case appears to block acess to the cables worse than the printed version which will make it tough to get the cables on.
Also, if you want to get everyone excited about a redesigned acrylic case, then make it bigger and redesign the Z axis to accept a standard 8"x8" reprap style heated bed, and glass. Oh, and don't use a lead screw, belt Z would be fine, dual cable Z, better.
September 01, 2014 10:20AM
That's a problem , but you can get the top cover assembled after setting up cable. Tantillus's main feature is tiny or small , portable , 8"x8" is too big for tantillus , and it will not be tantillus, it will be ultimaker . but i'm thinking of 5"x5" or 6"x6"

cns1
Hi,

Sorry to point this out but I'm afraid that it won't be easier to assemble than the regular acrylic case model. The hardest step in reguard to assembley is getting the cables on and tensioned. Everyone seems to agree that the printed version is more challenging than the acrylic case because of the lip on the top of the case. The lip on the top of your case appears to block acess to the cables worse than the printed version which will make it tough to get the cables on.
Also, if you want to get everyone excited about a redesigned acrylic case, then make it bigger and redesign the Z axis to accept a standard 8"x8" reprap style heated bed, and glass. Oh, and don't use a lead screw, belt Z would be fine, dual cable Z, better.
September 10, 2014 10:59AM
My new tantillus case come , it's nice and light to be picked up , and I give it a new name "Tantillus A2" smiling smiley

September 25, 2014 11:52AM
Hi Leonal,

I'm interested in this your version, very beautiful, you could make the file available for laser cutting?
Best regards

Luciano
September 29, 2014 02:16AM
If you are interested , you can get dxf file from thingiverse (thing id:480860)
October 19, 2014 07:45PM
What material and what thickness did you cut yours from, Leonal? Looks very nice.
November 06, 2014 06:51AM
I have a CNC router, but AFAIK, there isn't a laser cutter in the entire country (I have the first and - so far - only CNC router).

Do you think it would cut fine on a router?

I have been wanting a Tantalus-style printer for ages...
November 08, 2014 10:34AM
It's 6mm acrylic , protecting not removed.
November 08, 2014 10:40AM
I've not tried CNC router , I use laser cut. I think you need to do some change of the dxf file if you are using a router.

ledaero
I have a CNC router, but AFAIK, there isn't a laser cutter in the entire country (I have the first and - so far - only CNC router).

Do you think it would cut fine on a router?

I have been wanting a Tantalus-style printer for ages...
November 10, 2014 11:06AM
A running demo on youtube: [youtu.be] , hoping to inspire more makers to produce Tantillus A2 smiling smiley
January 27, 2015 11:23PM
Hello ,

I am new here . I am looking to make Tantillus .
I like the new A2 version made .
But to make this version Do I need to print only the parts which given in Thingiverse link of A2 or all the parts mentioned in the original Tantillus .
If I want to make the original one I saw there are too many parts given in download .
Which I should follow please suggest
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login