Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Early stages of build

Posted by Lisa M 
Re: Early stages of build
August 18, 2012 07:46PM
Oh could be. It worked for a bit at 250000 though ....before it all stopped working and Pronterface couldn't connect ( see other thread )
August 18, 2012 08:02PM
Lisa M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh could be. It worked for a bit at 250000 though
> ....before it all stopped working and Pronterface
> couldn't connect ( see other thread )

I've had the same issue with 250000 baud on my machines. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you have a short USB cable and EMF interference you might get away with it. I've found that 115200 is fast enough printing over USB, even for highly detailed parts with very short segments.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 18, 2012 10:48PM
The fact it worked for a few minutes at 250000 is a miracle. Have you tried it at 115200 (which is what the firmware is set at)?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 20, 2012 12:11AM
Edit: just realized my question was answered on page 2 of this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2012 12:13AM by Eric Young.
August 20, 2012 12:12AM
Eric Young Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does this mean that if we're printing from a
> computer it would be better to use the 250000 baud
> rate?

I use 115200 for all my printers as 250000 tends to have too many errors, often disconnecting the printer in the middle of the print. I find that 115200 is fast enough even for highly detailed parts with very short segments.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 20, 2012 12:15AM
Whoa you are fast, thanks! I asked that before seeing your post on page 2 of the thread (thought there was only one page)
August 20, 2012 08:45AM
115200 works reliably. At 250000 I've never been able to sustain a reliable connection for more than just a couple minutes at most.

Using Pronterface to setup the print and do general testing is fine. But I always do the printing from the SD card. That eliminates any possible communication problems and allows me to use the computer for other tasks, including disconnecting it mid-print. Keeping the computer in the loop when it isn't necessary just increases the odds of something unexpected going wrong. Some of my parts take hours to print and I don't want them to abort just because the computer has a hiccup.

----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
August 20, 2012 08:59AM
Odd because the baud rate has nothing to do with the comms between the PC and the machine. That is done by USB at 12Mbits. The comms at 125KB is only across a short distance on the PC from the FTDI chip and the Atmega.

The FTDI chip has a fractional divider so should be able to do any baud rate accurately provide the driver and host OS cater for it. The Atmega should be able to do 125KB more accurately than 115KB.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login