Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eric's Tantillus build

Posted by Eric Young 
Re: Eric's Tantillus build
December 11, 2012 07:04AM
Thanks for the late-night tips guys, what great service thumbs up

Sublime - Forgot to mention this but I've had my crossbars lubricated as well. It does seem there may not be much Vaseline getting into the LM8UU's due to the rubber seals (I didn't put any lube inside before assembly, will have to try that). I also re-lubed the the bars and hand-cranked the carriage back/forth for like 5 minutes right after this problem arose. It definitely helped, just not enough unfortunately.

WWFP - Good ideas! The cable tension seems like a really good candidate as I've bumped the cables a number of times lately while moving the machine around. Thank you!
December 11, 2012 12:08PM
For me, I had X axis skipping and it turned out to be the flats on my motor. I had to filed them myself. For one motor, I failed to bring the flat close enough to the motor body.
The set screws happened to be biting into that section. The kicker was that the skip was intermittent, so I dismissed this as the likely cause until I did other similar steps WWFP mentioned.
December 11, 2012 07:28PM
Thanks ronderful, good to keep in mind
December 12, 2012 11:14PM
Well it ended up being that the motor gear on the Y-axis had 'walked' along the motor shaft towards the acrylic until it was pressing up against it and causing all kinds of friction in certain spots of the rotation. Crazy.

Back in business!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2012 11:15PM by Eric Young.
December 13, 2012 01:16AM
Glad you got it all sorted out smiling smiley

On a somewhat related note, I found that if the cables were not taut enough or the smooth rods weren't lubricated properly, movement in the perpendicular direction could shift the upper rods i.e. upper X rod will shift back and forth when the printer head moved back and forth in the y direction.
December 13, 2012 02:22AM
That rod movement you're talking about is exactly what I believe caused my problem. I think the cables and gears were trying to square themselves up more and the Y-axis rod wanted to move in the positive X direction a bit, so the upper gear on the Y-axis rod was pulling in towards the machine and causing the motor gear to move along the motor shaft in that same direction over a long period of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 03:53AM by Eric Young.
December 14, 2012 06:56AM
A bit of loctite 290 wicking grade retaining compound helped me out preventing shafts wandering through bearings, a bit back as well. If I will ever get the shafts out of the bearings in the future however I do not know...............
December 14, 2012 02:15PM
lol adhesives are a tempting mistress
December 17, 2012 01:53AM
Eric Young Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lol adhesives are a tempting mistress

Awesome I am going to print that out and stick it on my fridge at work which is packed with glues.
December 17, 2012 07:47PM
haha awesome
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login