Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Test Print spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by Lisa M 
First Test Print spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 07, 2012 11:40PM
Yay!

The cube being printed

Okay had a little endstop problem and there are probably a few adjustments to be made ...but ...tada! I printed something. Me so happy.
Re: First Test Print spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 08, 2012 12:35AM
Hey congrats Lisa!

It sounds so quiet and frigging perfect.

I just came on here to express the joy that I'm feeling finally having the capacity to print great resolution material culturesmiling smiley
September 08, 2012 12:39AM
Well I'm not out of the woods yet.

My test cube had a few layers in teh middle that buldged ...I hadn't adjusted anything throughout the print. Could be bad filament ...or something isn't moving smoothly.

Also something is wrong with my zstop. Home doesn't always bring the print head to the same distance from the bed. I got lucky with the cube in that it started at the right height from the bed.
September 08, 2012 02:48AM
I am so glad to see this. The print looked like it was going well. Can you post a picture of the cube and maybe we can fix the problem easily. I may not get back to you for a while (Maker Faire Calgary).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 08, 2012 02:50AM
Hi Lisa,

What I'm finding is that every print is teaching me something new about the setup. Sublime has prepared some out of the can sweetness that you can barely pay through an orifice for commercially.

Your footage gave the impression that your machine is just starting to stretch its legs, and that very good things are on your way. Let Tantillus show you what it can do - and do ensure that your working from the Tantillus Slic3r config settings, if you're not exploring them yet, cuz they seem to bring you to the sweet spot of the machine before you, and allow you to toy with really subtle tweaks <- and expose how much we don't knowsmileys with beer

Best!
September 08, 2012 02:51AM
Congrats, Lisa! Great to see another Tantillus breathing and building! smileys with beer
September 09, 2012 12:39AM
Here is the cube ...hard to get a good picture of something this small without a macro. You can see the bulge layer though and there are a couple of layers where you can see small gaps ....so the flow wasn't consistent or the movement of z wasn't consistent. I am using cheap filament from Rep Raper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 12:39AM by Lisa M.
Attachments:
open | download - cube.jpg (283.5 KB)
September 09, 2012 01:32AM
Lisa M Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I am using cheap filament from Rep
> Raper.

That could very well be your problem. Their filament tends to have voids in it, as well as being an inconsistent diameter, both of which affect the quality of your output. Do you have some calipers to check the consistency of the diameter? Also, take a piece of the filament and break it in a few places to see if it has voids. Like the image in this post: [forums.reprap.org]

Note that not all of their filament is that bad, but it varies wildly so you may or may not have gotten a bad batch from them.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 09, 2012 01:44AM
I tried another print. It looked like it was going pretty well at first ...but the end result was somewhat baffling. G-Code or stepper? I'm not sure.

Have a look and tell me what you think.
September 09, 2012 02:46AM
This is just that something is still a little tight in the X Y axis that caused it to skip a step. Try running this a few times and see if it helps things break-in.gcode. Also don't forget to lubricate the smooth rods ( it seems this is very important during initial break-in and I will add it to the instructions).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
September 09, 2012 07:44AM
That was pretty handy. Definitely put it through the paces.

It's still a little stiff in the Y direction but lots of vaseline and keeping my fingers crossed. I'm printing out RobotDreams spool holder. So far so good smiling smiley
September 09, 2012 05:41PM
A little better now...

I'm having trouble with the right side Y End though. I just can't seem to get it tightened well enough. I've tightened as much as I dare (small cracking noises and almost the extent of my personal strength). The other bolts are holding the cable well but on this one, the cable slacks the second I let go of the bolt. I've even tried some kapton tape on the underside of the washer to create a thicker grippier surface ...to no avail.

I think that because one side of Y is push/pulling better, that might explain the darker spots where maybe the hot end isn't being moved away as quickly so a little more pla is coming out at those points.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 05:43PM by Lisa M.
Attachments:
open | download - BetterKitty.jpg (389.8 KB)
September 09, 2012 07:59PM
Now this is a new one to me. Obviously you have removed the bolt and both of the cables are going under the washer correctly so it must be applying a lot of force to pull both cables under the washer. If you unscrew the bolt and then try and slide the Y end does it move smoothly? Then once the bolt is tightened does it get hard to move? If this is the case I would say the new Y ends bolt is not going into the bushing correctly and is squeezing the bushing and causing lots of friction. To fix it you would remove the bolt and use a small tool to push the bushing out of the Y end and then rotate it until the hole is facing up where the bolt hole is and push the bushing back in.

September 09, 2012 08:14PM
Hi Sublime,

It's not loosening after it starts printing. I can't get it tight at all. I did remove the bolt and washer and tried putting tape under the washer to make it more "grippy" in the hopes that would create enough friction on the cable ...but it didn't work.

Essentially I pull the cable tight. I tighten the bolt as far as I can go, the cable coming out the front side of the end feels tight. The folded over piece that I was tugging on comes loose as soon as I let go. I'm wondering about creating a rubber washer from some old bike inertube to fit between the metal one and the xy end so that it presses against the cable. It might be softer and make a better connection with the plastic under the metal washer.

Once the printer has stopped printing this little tree frog, I'll give it a try.

The tree frog looks okay ...although there is a major split early on ...I'm not sure the legs are connected ...not sure what happend there ...possibly the filament wasn't feeding well and it's a weak layer ...or possibly the z moved too far for one layer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 08:39PM by Lisa M.
September 09, 2012 08:23PM
Is this the side where the loop was on the opposite side than is recommended? This would mean the end you need to pull should be coming out the back not the front. This would also mean only one cable is under the washer not two.

September 09, 2012 08:43PM
I don't remember if this is "that" side.

However I'm pulling the cable towards the back, as you say.

The looped cable is at the front of the end and the cable that doubles back through goes under the washer. The one doubling back goes towards the back of the tantillus.

...I'm not sure how that should make a difference. It is under the washer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 08:45PM by Lisa M.
September 09, 2012 08:46PM
Hmmm..... I am a little stumped. I will put some though into this see I can come up with something. In the mean time can you try adding a second washer to see if it is just not tightening properly as you suspect.

September 09, 2012 08:58PM
Well my rubber washer didn't work either. *sigh* I'm sure I don't understand the physics ...but apparently it matters that the cable is going the same way as it is on the left side.

I guess the cable from the back should be looped and the cable coming from the front of the machine should double back through. Essentially the opposite of the left side. I still can't wrap my head around how that should make any difference though ...and you know how much I hate doing the cables ...however this one is reasonably easy to access.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 08:59PM by Lisa M.
September 09, 2012 09:02PM
It should not make any difference. Did you try removing the bolt and moving the Y end by itself as I mentioned earlier? I still think it must be binding on the shaft.

September 09, 2012 09:30PM
Yup did that a few times... even before you suggested it. ...but the cable being loose happens before I even move anything. I simply can't tighten it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2012 09:32PM by Lisa M.
September 09, 2012 09:38PM
Is is because the cable is going around the bolt on either side and the the loop is hitting the bolt?

September 09, 2012 10:04PM
The both ends of the cable are going around the bolt on one side (not either side of the bolt) ...and I've tried one side and then the other of the bolt. I'm not sure if the loop is hitting the bolt.

I put a second washer in testing your theory that the bolt may be pushing against the rod creating a gap under the washer ...but that didn't make a difference either.
September 09, 2012 10:04PM
Lisa M Wrote:
> Well my rubber washer didn't work either. *sigh*
> I'm sure I don't understand the physics ...but
> apparently it matters that the cable is going the
> same way as it is on the left side.
>
> I guess the cable from the back should be looped
> and the cable coming from the front of the machine
> should double back through. Essentially the
> opposite of the left side. I still can't wrap my
> head around how that should make any difference
> though ...and you know how much I hate doing the
> cables ...however this one is reasonably easy to
> access.

While I agree that it makes no sense, I will admit that I had the free ends going in opposite directions on the Y axis I was never able to square. I don't think the loop was getting hung up by the bolt as I'd made sure to run everything to one side.
September 10, 2012 12:43AM
I broke another one sad smiley

I was trying again to see the position of the loop. When I undid the bolt the end stop wiggled a bit to reveal that it was cracked through again. Much sadness here. Any chance you could mail another one to me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 12:45AM by Lisa M.
Attachments:
open | download - broken.jpg (422 KB)
September 10, 2012 12:57AM
...also you were right. I've reglued the piece, moved the loop but wrapping it one more time around the bar so that the loop is not in the y end ..and now it clamps down nice and tight over the cable I've pulled back through. Apparently having the loop in the Y end is bad.
September 10, 2012 02:50PM
This is good to know.

At least where it cracked the bolt holds it together and the washer still applies pressure to the clamping portion for the smooth rod.

September 11, 2012 01:17AM
Yes sir, it sure does ...best print ever started and looking good. I'm printing another fan mount to replace my busted one. *gleefully rubbing hands together* ...video to follow.
September 11, 2012 03:43AM
I'm Rep Rappin' Yo!

Check out my new fan mount!

...note video speed is at 200% so yah my Tantillus is not on steroids ...although that would be impressive right?
September 11, 2012 03:47AM
Yeeehaaa! Congratulations Lisa.
September 11, 2012 07:01AM
Lisa M Wrote:

> ...note video speed is at 200% so yah my Tantillus
> is not on steroids ...although that would be
> impressive right?

Sublime cranks the speed up to 150 and even 200 sometimes. smiling smiley

A well tuned and broken-in Tantillus can do it. I've tried it and gotten pretty good results. Problem is that the speed adjustment is modal. So if you crank it up it stays that way until you turn it back down again or restart the printer.

----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login