Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Motor? ...or something else?

Posted by Lisa M 
Z Motor? ...or something else?
September 08, 2012 02:25PM
Well it worked for a couple of prints and I got the Z Stop secured ...but now I'm having this issue.

I can't figure what could have gone wrong as it worked so well for a few minutes.

I can't see anything that is stopping the vertical movement. The bed isn't rubbing against anything, no wires are in the way, the rods look like they are all in position. I'm stumped.

Any ideas what I need to do ...and please don't say potentiometer because I'm determined not to touch those ever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 02:27PM by Lisa M.
Re: Z Motor? ...or something else?
September 08, 2012 02:49PM
I had this problem too, I did three things to fix it. I'm not sure which one(or combination) it was that did it, but it's working now. I took the clamp off the z motor and realigned the motor to be more in line with the z shaft, I pur the clamp back on, but not quite as tight as before, and I did turn up the potentiometer a bit. Hope that helps

Jeff
September 08, 2012 04:31PM
I'm randomly getting similar grinds and growls. Jeff's suggestion of realigning the motor sounds like a good one that I'll try next if it continues.

I had actually tightened the little coupler clamp, as I was also getting some slippage.

But what I've been finding is that it seems to warm up and then be fine??
September 08, 2012 06:12PM
I'm considering silcone cocking under the coupler ...can't get it tighter and I'm so worried it will crack more... I will try what Jeff suggested later tonight.
September 08, 2012 07:11PM
I just put vaseline onto the z-axis rods and threaded rod. It seems to have mellowed out the noise here.

Have yet to print with the change.
September 08, 2012 07:27PM
The grinds and growls are the steppers skipping.
If you can get better alignment it would certainly help, as would lubrication, if it continues after that, I'd verify it's not binding by turning the acre by hand with the motors disabled.
If there is no obvious binding, try turning up the Z motor pot very slightly.
September 08, 2012 09:03PM
Booo... you said Pot ...and I don't have a plastic or ceramic screw driver.

Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The grinds and growls are the steppers skipping.
> If you can get better alignment it would certainly
> help, as would lubrication, if it continues after
> that, I'd verify it's not binding by turning the
> acre by hand with the motors disabled.
> If there is no obvious binding, try turning up the
> Z motor pot very slightly.
September 08, 2012 09:08PM
I think the advise given so far is correct. I would first lubricate the threaded rod and smooth rods. After that I think adjusting the potentiometer only a tiny tiny bit would help (so little you do think you have adjusted it). If it continues after that I will lower the speed it moves in the firmware.

To explain the noise a little better. The firmware has acceleration and it seems to move well until it has accelerated enough and reaches its top speed at which point it is skipping steps. This is why moving it manually does not cause the problem as it never has time to reach the top speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 09:09PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 08, 2012 10:08PM
Lisa M Wrote:

> and I don't have a plastic
> or ceramic screw driver.

But you do have a machine that can print one in a few minutes... smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 10:09PM by Robots-Dreams.

----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
September 08, 2012 10:19PM
I did upgrade the firmware right before this. Maybe that was what caused it?

I don't know how to slow it down in the firmware though. The code is beyond my experience level.
September 09, 2012 02:39AM
It seems as though you may have lubricated it and now it is not doing it as much (or at least the cat looked that way). I would say that was the issue and to just report if it happens again.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
September 09, 2012 04:29AM
The video of it moving slowly shows it pausing with silences so I would say the current is set too high and the chip is shutting down. On faster moves the pause stalls it because it needs acceleration to get going again.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 09, 2012 09:33AM
nophead Wrote:
> The video of it moving slowly shows it pausing
> with silences so I would say the current is set
> too high and the chip is shutting down. On faster
> moves the pause stalls it because it needs
> acceleration to get going again.

I believe you are referring to the beginning of the video when it stops a few times? This is because she was turning the encoder knob to make it move and each time you re-grip the knob to turn it again it can pause for a split second. It was in no way going into thermal protection at all.

September 09, 2012 02:55PM
The vaseline seemed to do the trick. I haven't had to do anything other than that and it's working well again smiling smiley

I printed out Robot Dreams spool holder last night ...I maybe should have realized it would take 6 hours smiling smiley ...man was I up late or should I say early.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login