Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why I Love Tantillus smiling smiley

Posted by Robots-Dreams 
Why I Love Tantillus smiling smiley
September 11, 2012 12:06PM
Printed with 150 micron layers in PLA with 100% infill and absolutely no support:

The cube is 30mm x 30mm x 30mm. The STL file is here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:30171

It took some fine tuning, but was well worth the time and effort.

----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
Re: Why I Love Tantillus smiling smiley
September 11, 2012 12:15PM
Wow - nice!
September 12, 2012 12:45AM
Here's some video footage of the print:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJPYtoZHp9Q

----------------
Lem Fugitt
3D Printing Dreams
Robots Dreams
"The map is not the territory."
September 12, 2012 03:56AM
BOOM TANTILLUS SHOT!

That is epic! Nice work.
September 12, 2012 11:58AM
wow, that is really impressive! Way to add more territory to the map Lem winking smiley
September 13, 2012 02:46PM
Being inspired by this, I went and made and printed a hollow box myself. I was doing it as a bit of a small test piece after re-tightening and loc-tite-ing the hobbed bolt nut.

I'm impressed with the results I got, but you've set the bar pretty friggin' high Lem!

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me a good means of reducing the 'strings' that occur when the head jumps across gaps (see images). I had set the print to standard>fine, 150micron steps, 100%infill.

To refine my question I guess, would it be increasing the speed setting for Bridges (mm/s) from 25 - up to, say, 200? Or would it be increasing the "Other speed settings">Travel (mm/s) from 150 up to 11 000 000? Or is this more a flow rate/temperature thing?

I'm just trying to save plastic herespinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Attachments:
open | download - hollowbox_stringy.jpg (30.4 KB)
open | download - hollowbox_stringy2.jpg (31.3 KB)
September 13, 2012 02:56PM
Have you followed the retraction calibration yet? [www.tantillus.org]

The next thing would be to reduce the temperature so the plastic is not as liquid. The default is 190c and depending on the plastic it can be as low as 160c. To test you can print a cube or similar object over and over and each time reduce the temperature 5c. At a certain point the extruder will stop working and the motor will skip steps. Or you will start to notice that the layers do not adhere to themselves correctly and you can peel them apart. When you find either failing point you can increase the temperature 10c and you should be good for most prints at the current speed.

The max speed for all moves is currently limited to 150mm/s by the firmware so if you do want to increase the travel speed you would have to increase the limit in the firmware. But this will increase the chance of a skipped step which is why I have it limited. I wanted to be sure the machine printed reliably.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 13, 2012 03:09PM
Thanks Sublime. Oops - I've not followed the retraction calibration. Looks like I've got the cart before the horse!

I've just started playing with a small test bridge, so I'll do some messing..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login