Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing the connectors

Posted by PxT 
PxT
Printing the connectors
September 13, 2012 09:32AM
The README on github says that the "Connectors are currently not oriented for printing (may 24, 2012+).". So how are we supposed to print these? What needs to be done to make them printable and/or what steps do I need to take? Thanks
Re: Printing the connectors
September 13, 2012 10:56AM
You can use the free Netfabb Basic (netfabb.com) to orient them. Just load the part up, fix it if necessary, then using the "align to bottom plane" tool double click the bottom face, and export to STL. I had meant to commit the ones I fixed to github but I lost them when I had to do a Windows reinstall.

Be aware that some of the pieces have overhangs going in opposite directions that make choosing the orientation a toss-up. If you have adequate cooling and your overhangs are decent it's not a problem.
PxT
September 13, 2012 12:52PM
Thanks. Here's my first pass at orienting them in case anyone is interested. I haven't tried printing these yet, will do when I get back to my printer later.

[github.com]
September 13, 2012 01:21PM
Basically the easiest way to think of them as being in the correct orientation is to have the cavities for the bolt heads facing up.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
PxT
September 16, 2012 04:33PM
The BOM calls for "1 Motor mount reinforcement" for the printed case. Which STL does that correspond to? I can't find it under the Printed Case directory.
September 16, 2012 04:52PM
Sorry I forgot to rename the files before pushing them to git. The file is called base rear . Since I can not seem to remove stuff from git I should just change the name in the bom.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
PxT
September 16, 2012 05:06PM
Thanks, so just to confirm are these right?

1 - Top front connector (top_front.stl)
2 - Top side connectors (2x top_side.stl)
1 - Rear lower connector (top_rear_lower.stl)
1 - Rear upper connector (top_rear.stl)
3 - Middle connectors (middle_front.stl, 2x middle_side.stl)
3 - Base connectors (base_front.stl, 2x base_side.stl)
1 - Motor mount reinforcement (base_rear.stl)

What is middle_rear.stl used for? There seem to be 3 connectors on the back side but four files with "rear" in the name.
September 16, 2012 05:25PM
PxT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, so just to confirm are these right?
>
> 1 - Top front connector (top_front.stl)
> 2 - Top side connectors (2x top_side.stl)
> 1 - Rear lower connector (top_rear_lower.stl)
> 1 - Rear upper connector (top_rear.stl)
> 3 - Middle connectors (middle_front.stl, 2x
> middle_side.stl)
> 3 - Base connectors (base_front.stl, 2x
> base_side.stl)
> 1 - Motor mount reinforcement (base_rear.stl)
>
> What is middle_rear.stl used for? There seem to be
> 3 connectors on the back side but four files with
> "rear" in the name.

Base_rear.stl goes over rear lower. So at the rear you have the top one, the next one down and then you have two that overlap to form the bottom one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login