Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS portion of Extruder Broken sad smiley

Posted by Lisa M 
ABS portion of Extruder Broken sad smiley
September 17, 2012 01:07AM
I tried to print last thursday in the evening and my filament stopped feeding for some reason. I didn't have time to look at it then. I came home after a weekend away to do a print and the extruder unloaded filament just fine. However part way through loading it started making a horrible noise. The culprit... broken ABS part. sad smiley It makes me sad because it was just starting to work well.

I'm not sure what would cause it to break at this point. Is it the same as the hobbed bolt issue that I think one other person was having?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 01:07AM by Lisa M.
Attachments:
open | download - bustedextruder.jpg (243.1 KB)
Re: ABS portion of Extruder Broken sad smiley
September 17, 2012 01:17AM
That sucks, I supplied them in ABS to try and prevent any possible problems from over heating of the motor only to have this happen. Lets replace it and see if it was just a flawed part and not a design flaw.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 17, 2012 01:25AM
Wow you are fast smiling smiley

I'm wondering about physically supporting the motor underneath instead of hanging it from the extruder body. Would that help to reduce stress on the part?

Also, can you mail me the part?

I'm busy with various curling obligations Monday-Thursday now. The only evening I have free is Friday. I could try and meet somewhere Friday... or if you are at John's sooner, maybe you could leave it with him and I could drop by and pick it up at his place ...if he is okay with that.
September 17, 2012 01:35AM
After this and Ernchesto breaking his extruder body it may be good to support the motor. The strange thing is all of my machines have logged hundreds of Km's in vehicles and all have fallen over when hitting the brakes without any parts breaking. I have truly abused my machines looking for weak points without finding a need for extra support until now.

I could give the new part to John on Wednesday if you will not be at the meeting and maybe you could pick it up from him (he actually printed the ABS ones). If not I can put it in the mail on Monday.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 03:13PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 17, 2012 01:54AM
Well I didn't even transit mine. It just did this all on it's own. I'm wondering if the hobbed bolt put some weird pressure on it. I could swing by John's ...if he is around on Friday or Saturday maybe? If not, maybe you could put it in the mail. Thanks!
September 17, 2012 03:04PM
If the hobbed bolt nut was coming loose and putting pressure on the motor, it would apply forces down on the side of the motor closest to X 0, Y 0
During my issues with it, I've had the nut burrow slightly into the motor housing, and the evidence is shown on two faces (as I'd rotated the motor after the first time to be able to identify repeat of the problem). Anyway, mine ground into the metal without damaging the ABS part, so I'd be inclined to think it's a bad print rather than a design flaw.

I've been thinking about making a support for the motor that attaches to it, but I've not been very vigil in monitoring extruder motor temperatures to see if it would mess up the support part in PLA, or if the support part might inhibit cooling of the motor.

Anyway, happy repairs Lisa!
September 21, 2012 11:28PM
Yay! I'm back in business. I think the nut on the hob bolt came loose. This time, now that I understand what all the parts do a little better, I made sure it was good and tight and locked it in place with nailpolish (don't have loctite).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 12:05AM by Lisa M.
September 22, 2012 12:07AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login