Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Print Bed and Issues

Posted by tjhj2 
Heated Print Bed and Issues
November 12, 2012 09:45AM
Hello All.

So I made a Heated Bed for the Tantillus, but then I encounter an interesting problem. With other heated print bed designs, there is room/mounting solution for fans to allow the part to be cooled on the surface to prevent curling of the PLA. As far as I can tell, it seems that there isn't enough airflow over the part top to stop the curling from the heat. I am thinking of maybe a hose and nozzle that would direct cooling right below the nozzle. Any suggestions or ideas?

Here is my design. I decided on a 100watts to test, because with the side fan airflow passing over and under it, I figured it would be harder to keep it very hot.
To get this I went with 30 AWG Nichrome Wire. Each strand is 10". Four total strands.
This gives each length a resistance of 5.75 ohms. Wiring all of them in parallel gives a resistance of 1.43 ohms. At 12v this takes 8.4 amps is 100.69 watts.

To spread the heat, I recut the upper acrylic plate out of 1/8 in aluminum plate.

This results in good heat, it heats up in under 1 min, and holds 70 deg C with a reasonable off time.

NOTE this runs the wires a little too hot, it has started to char the insulation where it is not in perfect contact with the aluminum plate, I would recommend trying 3 10in leads for 75 watts.

So here is some pictures and a clip of it working... well kind of working.
[www.youtube.com]
Attachments:
open | download - warping issue.JPG (82.8 KB)
open | download - Installed.JPG (126.3 KB)
open | download - Wire Layout.JPG (139.2 KB)
Re: Heated Print Bed and Issues
November 12, 2012 04:15PM
Looks good. On most machines people would put a fan shroud around the nozzle to cool just what they are printing but that is not really possible with Tantillus's carriage. This is why I tried making the air ducts to blow just across the layer being printed and the thermal barrier of the hotend. I only made the ducts for 40m fans and they did not work as well as I wanted. If you can design one that produces laminar air flow directed across the tip of the nozzle and the thermal barrier it should solve the problem. Or you could try a 25mm or smaller fan mounted to the carriage.

Have you seen if it will reach 110c for ABS?

Are you running two power supplies?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Heated Print Bed and Issues
November 13, 2012 10:46AM
Ill see what I can come up with for some ducts.

Sublime
Have you seen if it will reach 110c for ABS?
Yes, it takes 4 min 30 seconds to reach 110c. This is a surface calibrated temperature. It would seem that it could maintain 110c with no time limit, it is running about 70% on time which should give ramps and the wires time to cool down. I ran it all the way up to 125c just to test and held just fine, but it getting close to 100% on time.

I reprinted almost all of the parts in ABS to make sure they didn't melt get soft. But ABS and I don't really get along very well.

Sublime
Are you running two power supplies?

No, I am running one ATX computer power supply. An Eagle Voltas ET-PSVT500 500Watt ATX12V Power Supply, with a 5ohm 10watt resister on the 5v line to provide some load balance. It looks horrible, but it's a cheap solution to a lot of power.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login