Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laminate Issues Nothing Sticks

Posted by tjhj2 
Laminate Issues Nothing Sticks
November 26, 2012 04:28PM
Hello All,

So I am working on my second Tantillus and it is giving me a fit. Nothing I seem to do makes it print correctly. I have tried increasing temperature all the way up to 220 where I got clogs from it being too hot, lowered it to the point it wouldn't print. This same spool prints fine in my other Tantillus.

The layer alignment is good, but it just doesn't stick together. When it goes to print the solid layers on top it doesn't stick.

I can take the cube and just pull it apart and then fan the layers like a deck of cards, none of them are stuck together.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and help.
Attachments:
open | download - Laminate Issues 1.JPG (508 KB)
open | download - Laminate Issues 2.JPG (545.8 KB)
open | download - Cube.jpg (171.9 KB)
Re: Laminate Issues Nothing Sticks
November 26, 2012 05:32PM
Glad to here you built a second one.

This looks like a difficult problem to solve.

My first thoughts are did you calibrate the E steps the same way as with your first one? If the flow is too low you do not get much pressure between layers so it does not stick well.

Second thought is have you checked if the filament comes out nice and smooth when you extrude into air? The nozzle may be clogged which reduces the extrusion rate and could cause the hobbed bolt to slip.

Third is have you tried the filament back in the first machine. It may be possible the first half of the roll was good and it went to crap right when you switched machines.

In the end it does look like a filament issue. I have two rolls of glow in the dark that printed great when I got them but I can not print with them now a few months later. I have dried them in the oven without helping much and have pretty much given up on them.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 27, 2012 09:11AM
Sublime
Glad to here you built a second one.

Well I had the hobbed bolt.... Since I bought an extra during the kickstarter campaign. Nothing like a $5 part as an excuse to make a $500 machine. I figured why not make a printed one as a Xmas gift.

Sublime
My first thoughts are did you calibrate the E steps the same way as with your first one? If the flow is too low you do not get much pressure between layers so it does not stick well.
Yes, I am running KISSlicer. I am running the true 5D measuring the extruded distance on both machines. Watching the fill it seems correct.

Sublime
Second thought is have you checked if the filament comes out nice and smooth when you extrude into air? The nozzle may be clogged which reduces the extrusion rate and could cause the hobbed bolt to slip.
Yes, It actually extrudes smoother than any of my other nozzles. It doesn't curl as it exits and just a perfect smooth line. I also did the pull the plug method at a low temperature. When I pull the end, It is clean and a perfect shape of the nozzle internal. In the past when I have something blocking it, I can see the plug is not a perfect cone, and the tip doesn't have the point going into the nozzle end.

Sublime
Third is have you tried the filament back in the first machine. It may be possible the first half of the roll was good and it went to crap right when you switched machines.
I ran a small test last night and it seems to print just fine...

Some tests last night.

So I put a fiberglass insulator on the nozzle, and set the temp inverted, printing the first layer at 200, and then after it gets going faster moving up to 220. With the idea it wouldn't plug up printing faster.
It seemed to help the adhesion issue but it still ripped up the top layers.

Other notes, I double checked the Z move using a dial gauge, I thought maybe my screw might be off making the layers the incorrect height. I am running 2 15cfm fans almost full blast. Around 230.

I am not sure what this is telling me.

Thanks for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 10:08AM by tjhj2.
Attachments:
open | download - Some Progress.JPG (406 KB)
open | download - Insulator.JPG (460.1 KB)
November 27, 2012 06:29PM
I think it may be your hobbed bolt slipping or possibly the small gear on the extruder motor may be slipping.

Did you print the case on Tantillus or your Makergear?

Do we get to see it?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
November 27, 2012 08:46PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it may be your hobbed bolt slipping or
> possibly the small gear on the extruder motor may
> be slipping.
>
> Did you print the case on Tantillus or your
> Makergear?
>
> Do we get to see it?

I am trying to put together a whole time lapse video of tantillus making itself, so I was waiting to show machine pics with that, and it looks like crap right now because I keep taking it apart...

But here are some teasers.

It might be a little bit, I am starting finals.....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 08:48PM by tjhj2.
Attachments:
open | download - Case In Tantillus.JPG (145.4 KB)
open | download - Case On Table.JPG (146.8 KB)
December 06, 2012 01:16PM
For future referance,

I finally figured it out.

It was a loose connection on the extruder resister block.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login