Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA and Motor Heat

Posted by ronderful 
PLA and Motor Heat
December 01, 2012 08:34AM
I read the kits come with ABS motor mounts. As well the XY steppers press against the acrylic case.
I've built the printed case version and everything I printed was in PLA.
The motor mounts I can re-print in ABS if I do see melting.

It's the case I'm worried about. Do I need to introduce some kind of insulation between the motor and the case?
Re: PLA and Motor Heat
December 01, 2012 05:16PM
No all of my machines and some I have sold have PLA motor mounts and carriage. I just supplied the Indiegogo kits with ABS to reduce the possibility of problems. I have found if you over heat the motors enough the first thing to get soft are the gears and they should really be PLA so you are stuck with the problem. The real key is do not let your motors get that hot.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: PLA and Motor Heat
December 01, 2012 07:10PM
Awesome. Thanks Sublime! My Prusa runs pretty much the whole day, and the steppers can be quite warm to the touch after hours of printing.
Had to throw the question out there as the cabling took the longest part in the assembly. I would hate to have to do it again if the case warped.

Everything is pretty much done except for final wiring - Canada Post takes so damn long - I need my RAMPS!!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login