Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass Recomendations

Posted by MattS 
Glass Recomendations
December 03, 2012 10:00PM
I jus tgot done building the main portion of my tantillus and have it moving. I still need to wire up my LCD and install all the electronics in the case in their final position but it has been tested as moving great. The one thing I'm missing is the glass plate. I got a hardware only kit from the indiegogo campaign and it didn't have one in there. I also don't see any specs on what type of glass or the size in the BOM or else where. Cas anyone had any luck printing on an extra acrylic sheet or know a good source for the right size glass sheet? I would love a couple so I can easily trade out while printing.
Re: Glass Recomendations
December 03, 2012 10:25PM
The glass plate is normal window glass from a glass shop. It is 3mm and measures 108 x 130mm on the imperial machine. Most glass shops have a minimum price for cut glass. Here it is one square foot which would make a few build plates but they will charge you the full price per plate they cut. The good thing is they grind the edges of the glass so they are not sharp. If you want to save some money buy a glass cutter and buy yourself a sheet of glass big enough to cut a few build plates.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 04, 2012 12:20AM
I bought a few 12"x12" 3mm thick mirror tiles and glass cutter from the hardware store for about $10, watched a few Youtube videos on glass cutting, measured and marked a few times over, and got to cutting. It took me a few tries before I figured out how to get clean breaks, but eventually got a piece that fits the bed with little room to spare.
December 05, 2012 01:23AM
I use the glass off an old scanner. Works well.
December 05, 2012 02:10AM
I don't have a Tantillus, but my local ACE hardware cut me two pieces on 8x8 window glass for <$5.
I have a couple of pieces of heat resistant glass that cost me closer to $30, they are thicker, heat more slowly and are less flat, so I don't use them.
December 05, 2012 05:49PM
Thanks everyone, I have a glass shop near my house so I think I'm going to stop in there and see if they can hook me up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login