Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Almost ready...

Posted by Ursine 
Almost ready...
January 11, 2013 10:47AM
I'm wanting to build a 3D printer. I've done a bit of research and looked at some examples, but none of the DIY printers give the quality and resolution of what I'm seeing from Tantillus owners. My only concern is the small build volume. Can I make it bigger with some longer rod and a bigger frame?

Thanks,

Dave
Re: Almost ready...
January 11, 2013 05:28PM
That is the plan and currently there are at least two people working on larger versions. Until they are released/finished you may want to build the current size. One of the limits most people don\t realize is the size of an object that can be printed without warping. The warping starts to increase around 100mm x 100mm and gets really bad by 150mm x 150mm. This is the point where you need to add a heated bed to try and keep the part soft so it will not warp. Any larger than 200mm x 200mm and you then need to have a heated chamber.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 11, 2013 07:15PM
Cool. I'll go with the current one. Does a .35mm nozzle give higher resolution than a .5mm one?

Dave
January 11, 2013 08:11PM
0.35mm gives the ability to print smaller things like thin walls and to make single dots that are smaller but otherwise the layer resolution is the same.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
January 11, 2013 08:59PM
OK...one more thing before I put one in my cart. Regarding the Acrylic Tantillus Kit, is there anything else I'll need? Hardware, electronics,etc?
Still look like a 2-4 week lead time?

Thanks,

Dave
January 11, 2013 09:39PM
The only thing you will want to find in the mean time is 3mm PLA filament. I suggest you start with a well known brand (Diamond age solutions, Maker gear, Ultimachine, Makerbot) before going with the cheaper stuff so you understand how it should print before taking the risk of getting poor quality stuff for cheap.

January 11, 2013 10:08PM
Thanks for the info. I just placed an order. Can't wait to get started.

Dave
January 11, 2013 11:04PM
Is shipping still free for orders over $150.00?

Dave
January 12, 2013 04:17PM
Yes I decided to continue the free shipping levels as they make my job easier and seem to make people happy and improve the shopping experience.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login