Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantillus Build

Posted by os1r1s 
Tantillus Build
January 30, 2013 10:58AM
I've just completed the mechanical assembly of my tantillus. There are a few things left to do (swap motors, wire hot end, install electronics, etc). Overall its gone very well. I have made a few adaptations. My other repraps all use 1.75, so I've adapted the bowden setup to use 1.75. I haven't tested it yet, but have my fingers crossed. Also, I'm using thicker melamine covered panels, so I needed to modify the upper and lower brackets to match. I anticipate being able to print by the weekend, maybe tonight if I get energetic. Anyway, feedback is welcome. Here is a link to some pictures.

http://os1r1s.com/?p=865

And perhaps someone can answer a question for me. I see that there are fan mounts for the lasercut version and I also see that there is a fan duct. Is the intent of the duct to go on one side mounted to the hanging fan? Or is it meant to have one on each side? Is there something else which cools the electronics underneath? Thanks!
Re: Tantillus Build
January 30, 2013 07:35PM
os1r1s Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've just completed the mechanical assembly of my
> tantillus. There are a few things left to do
> (swap motors, wire hot end, install electronics,
> etc). Overall its gone very well. I have made a
> few adaptations. My other repraps all use 1.75,
> so I've adapted the bowden setup to use 1.75. I
> haven't tested it yet, but have my fingers
> crossed. Also, I'm using thicker melamine covered
> panels, so I needed to modify the upper and lower
> brackets to match. I anticipate being able to
> print by the weekend, maybe tonight if I get
> energetic. Anyway, feedback is welcome. Here is a
> link to some pictures.

Richrap is using 1.75 successfully.
>
> [os1r1s.com]

You must use the printed bushing or brass or bronze or Igus. DO NOT use linear bearings on the rods that rotate. The balls will get flats, the races will get bumps from the balls rotating in them and the rods will be destroyed from the none rolling balls.

>
> And perhaps someone can answer a question for me.
> I see that there are fan mounts for the lasercut
> version and I also see that there is a fan duct.
> Is the intent of the duct to go on one side
> mounted to the hanging fan? Or is it meant to
> have one on each side? Is there something else
> which cools the electronics underneath? Thanks!

The fan ducts are not needed and I recommend using two 50mm fans. I have never needed cooling on the electronics on Tantillus as long as the drivers are not set too high.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 31, 2013 04:59AM
Sublime Wrote:
> You must use the printed bushing or brass or
> bronze or Igus. DO NOT use linear bearings on the
> rods that rotate. The balls will get flats, the
> races will get bumps from the balls rotating in
> them and the rods will be destroyed from the none
> rolling balls.

Yes, don't use Linear bearings on the rods that rotate, I have on my build eye rolling smiley and I can see the scratches and wear on the rods already - I have Brass bushings on order and a design tweak to the holders for the new bushings and to make line tightening a bit easier.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 31, 2013 10:53AM
Good to know. I had used PLA clip bushings on my prusa v1 originally and as they wore, they induced wobble. They also made a dusty mess. I'm hoping that isn't an issue here.

Last night I managed to get it all wired up and running. It moves cartesian and can spit plastic. I need to up the pot for the extruder, raise the nozzle temp, or swap it back for a larger nema17 because it was short of torque. Check out the video ....

Youtube -- [www.youtube.com]

Sublime,

I've already printed the ducts. Do the 50mm fans work better than 40mm plus the ducts?
January 31, 2013 05:08PM
os1r1s Wrote:
> Sublime,
>
> I've already printed the ducts. Do the 50mm fans
> work better than 40mm plus the ducts?

I had one machine with 40mm x 30mm server fans on it with the ducts and they worked well. Then I was asked if they were needed so I removed them and it was bad. The cooling was not enough. I then ended up switching them to 50mm fans and t works well again.

Not sure what this tells you. Also the 50mm fans are 14cfm each.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login