Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printed nurnie

Posted by Ursine 
Printed nurnie
February 17, 2013 03:10PM
I'm working with a set designer making some nurnies for a spaceship set. A nurnie is a fine detailing added to the surface of a larger object that makes it appear more complex, and therefore more visually interesting. The plan is to use the printer the make silicon molds. I used Kisslicer with the default 150 micron setting. Impressive surface finish. This is the bottom of a two piece model. I noticed that when printing the small locator pin at the top, the plastic did not have enough chance to cool before printing the next layer so it was starting to just push the moiten plastic around. A scrape with a fingernail was all it needed to remove the string at the top.

[youtu.be]

Sounds like I have to check the gear mesh. Alot of chattering during the infil printing.
Attachments:
open | download - NurnieTest.jpg (37.8 KB)
VDX
Re: Printed nurnie
February 17, 2013 03:21PM
... against problems with small features you can use cooling fans or print two or more objects simultane ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Printed nurnie
February 17, 2013 04:31PM
As Viktor said you could try printing more than one at once if you have room. You could also try increasing the minimum layer time but this can result in too slow of extrusion. The next thing you can try is reducing the print temperature, but this can lead to not enough molten plastic to print the large area. This leads us to the best method that requires a little bit of manual labour. Lowering the temperature at the top of the print only. You can do this by simply turning it down via the LCD when it gets to the top of the large area and starts to print the small part. Or you can open the gcode file in a text editor and find the Z value of the top of the large area (should be something like Z1.5) that is a multiple of the layer thickness (default = 0.15mm) and insert M104 S180 (the S number is the temp) you can go as low as 155c with some PLA at low speeds. The 4mm tall vase I printed in the Tiny printing competition I printed at 155c.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login