Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Son of a...

Posted by mydogjustice 
Son of a...
March 06, 2013 01:26PM
Venting some frustration and hoping someone else will learn from my mistakes.

Waited 3.5 weeks for an order from Ponoko to be delivered to find out I had something mucked up with the scale.

So anxious to start building my Tantillus and waiting patiently for a set of LC panels in cherry.

I somehow ended up submitting drawings that were about 25% bigger than they were supposed to be. Now I've got a bunch of preprinted parts and oversized sides that are all a waste. SUCKS.

Thought I'd share. Measure twice....

JW

Josh

//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
//Prusa / RAMPS_1.4 & ATMega_2560 / Slic3r > Pronterface > Marlin / Luck
Re: Son of a...
March 06, 2013 04:55PM
Sorry to hear that. By any chance was it the SVG files you sent them? I have heard before that people had found something similar but never got down to the reason and I wonder if it has to do with different types of SVG files. They are the correct size when opened with Inkscape but it has its own type of SVG file.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 06, 2013 04:56PM
I notice when I open sublimes svg's in illustrator they are about 25% oversized, but in inkscape they open to the normal scale.... almost made the same mistake with ponoko...
March 06, 2013 05:00PM
goopyplastic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I notice when I open sublimes svg's in illustrator
> they are about 25% oversized, but in inkscape they
> open to the normal scale.... almost made the same
> mistake with ponoko...

If this is the case I will remove them from the repo as we don't want that happening.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
March 06, 2013 05:36PM
Can eventually be used as parts for a TantillusPlus :-)
March 06, 2013 05:40PM
I imported the SVG files to Illustrator and exported the EPS for Ponoko. I did some rework to minimize some of the cutting time, but never gave a second thought to verify dimensions. I'm no Illustrator pro by any stretch. I just bumble my way through it until I get what I want. I (just) measured the stl files of the LC sides and they are perfectly sized. No idea why the svg files would be ~25% bigger. Or why importing them to Inkscape would make a difference vs into AI. I'm sure there is an easy explanation. It almost feels like a dpi difference, but I dont think that matters with vector images does it?

No one to blame but myself!

Josh

//Prusa / RAMPS_1.4 & ATMega_2560 / Slic3r > Pronterface > Marlin / Luck
March 07, 2013 04:46AM
Oh if I had a dollar for every time I have made that mistake.........

Trick I do now is put one dimension on the DXF etc and then hopefully if this is an error in scaling the guy setting the laser cutter will realize when he deletes the dimension.
March 07, 2013 06:34AM
So I'm left with a couple of options. I've reprinted one of the corners scaled at 124% and it snaps perfectly. So I can rescale, reprint and re-engineer going down that road. Obvious couple hitches that I'd need to rebuild. Not to mention the beautiful 8mm rod that I had Sublime cut to length that is no longer long enough...pisser. There are a bunch of parts that would need to be scaled, but things like the extruder (which mount to the case) cant be scaled. So maybe some "adapters"? Dunno. Kinda thinking through that scenario.

I could order a proper set of acrylics from Sublime and be on my way.

Or completely reinvent some of the pieces and build a Tantillus Hodge Podge

I think I'm more upset about the 4 weeks I wasted waiting for the panels than I am about the $100 that went up in (laser) smoke.

JW
March 07, 2013 12:38PM
I would not suggest trying to build it scaled up in this way. The space between the X an Y rods vertically is extremely sensitive and yours has been scaled by 25% making the carriage not fit.

March 08, 2013 04:16AM
@Sublime - on the side note - how much you think one could scale x&y axis of Tantillus without altering the z-axis design?
March 08, 2013 05:10AM
mfeherpataky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Sublime - on the side note - how much you think
> one could scale x&y axis of Tantillus without
> altering the z-axis design?

Not sure really. I would say X could go 50 more without many issues. Y I wonder if the Z-arms can handle the extra forces from the longer cantilever.

For an even wider X I can see using the cable Z and attaching the Z lift to both arms and to avoid over constraining the linear bearings make the rod openings on the left side of the upper and lower Z bracket an oval to allow the one rod to move along the X plane.

For a deeper Y I think you would need to redesign the arms or replace them with a laser cut plate with printed bearing mounts and bed mounts bolted to them.

And Z is really easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login