Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with 1.75mm pla?

Posted by robtbldr 
Problems with 1.75mm pla?
March 16, 2013 01:42PM
I was wondering if there was any problem using 1.75mm pla when the tantillus was designed for 3.0mm? I put 1.75mm through my machine and it seemed to print the calibration cubes ok. Are there any long term effects or problems I should expect doing this like constant jamming or something? Thanks.
Re: Problems with 1.75mm pla?
March 16, 2013 01:50PM
As long as you are using a 2mm ID bowden tube and hotend it should work well. There are at least two other machines out there with 1.75mm filament. Also I have been doing some maths and it shows that there is a theoretical advantage to using 1.75 with the original geared extruder when trying to print tiny layers or with a really small nozzle.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 16, 2013 02:11PM
If I were to use a stock tantillus with the wider 1/4" ptfe tubing and 3.0mm hotend, would that lead to problems down the road? Also had a quick question about kisslicer with pokey's settings pauses for a while before starting leaving a blob and then again after the first layer. After that all is well but I noticed the blobs at the beginning and was wondering if there was a way to get rid of them? Thank you for designing such an awesome machine.
March 16, 2013 02:59PM
Using 1.75 in the 3mm tube could lead to buckling and jamming. I could also see it causing a little more hysteresis. The smaller filament in the hotend can lead to molten plastic flowing back up around the filament instead of out the nozzle hole which would be less plastic than desired.

For the config have you checked out the ones on Tantillus.org in the download section. They use M104 to change temps between layers instead of M109 which is set and wait to reach the temp so they should not pause. The start up routine is also a little different so that should help with the first blob. If you are having blobs where it retracts it may be a result of the 1.75 in the 3mm tube and increasing/decreasing the retract length or wipe may help.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login