Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Warped Extruder Motor Gear

Posted by willworkforplastic 
Warped Extruder Motor Gear
April 07, 2013 04:22AM
So about a month ago my printer stopped pushing filament through the extruder. Look like the stepper shaft was slipping on the gear. I thought to myself "da fuk I flatted the shafts really well, tightened the grub screws well and put locktite on them". So after a bit of investigation I found the gear had gone egg shaped and the grub screws had moved:
Extruder Motor Gear

After a bit of thought it dawned on me that running the printer in my tin garage during a really hot summer (about 25-30oC in the garage everyday) and running the stepper at a full 1.7A had probably caused the gear to get hot and relieve the stress of the tight grub screws.

For now I am running a 40mm fan on the stepper motor and winter is coming to avoid this issue again. However today I noticed that the Z-axis motor mount had slightly warped also - time to get some ABS re-print that.

Has anybody tried Taulman 618 Nylon for gears yet or should I just heatsink the stepper properly?
Re: Warped Extruder Motor Gear
April 07, 2013 04:21PM
Calibrate your motor current using Sublime's instructions. I had this problem on an overheating extruder I'd flatted until I turned out down from the usual 0.4V vref.
April 07, 2013 05:11PM
With the original herringbone small gear I had this happen and was the reason I made the other ones hub so much larger. I have not had it happen since but then again I have always under run the motors at the point where they sound the best.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 09, 2013 05:05AM
Hmm, I am using polulo black drivers and I set the current by actually measuring the coil current. At the moment they are set to 1.7A, but I might wind them back to 1.5A.
April 09, 2013 12:10PM
I have always found they ran the best when they sounded right and this may be why. A RepRapper I know just posted this the other day on his blog.

Loial [url
https://ottersoft.ca/blog/[/url]]
I also tuned the stepper power by moving the machine back and forth slowly and adjusting the power till it sounded cleanest. I’ve found this gives the best stepper microstep positioning as it’s closest to sinusoidal at that point.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login