Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

metric hardware and 48mm stepper

Posted by nic0laz 
metric hardware and 48mm stepper
May 05, 2013 02:56PM
Hi guys, i want to build a Tantillus (it might be the second one in Argentina) and i have 2 questions:

- Down here is easy to find m8 smooth rod, 5/16 is tricky. Can i just use m8?
- I have a few 48mm steppers that i would like to use, are those extra 8mm an issue?, is there any room for that extra length?

I want to print the case, i would print it with my i3 using black PLA for the case, traslucent yellow for the parts.
Re: metric hardware and 48mm stepper
May 05, 2013 03:33PM
M8 will work if it fits in the 608 bearings but not if the M8 and Bearing are really high tolerance. 5/16" is only 80micron less than 5/16" and fits nicely in the 608's I have used.

The 48mm motors will fit in the laser cut machine if you trim the bed a little and either lose 8mm in Z height or use RichRaps lower Z bracket and not lose the height.

In the printed case you can not use RichRaps bracket and the X/Y motors will not fit unless you Dremel out some material or remodel it a little before printing. It only really has space modelled for the 40mm long motors. Also the Extruder motor touches the bottom panel of the machine even with the 40mm motor. If you use a longer motor on the extruder you either can not use a bottom panel or have to cut a hole in it for the motor to poke out the bottom.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 05, 2013 04:06PM
I was planning to use your new z axis setup (with line, not rod).

Will stick to lasercut and see if i can make that steppers fit.

I also have 2 or 3 46mm steppers, but they get really hot.

Thanks Sublime!
May 06, 2013 07:20AM
I had some problems with my 8mm rods, the help of a hammer and some pieces of wood were needed to force 2 bearings onto the rods (but it was ok for the other)
June 05, 2013 11:55AM
So, i decided to use a LC frame version.

Also, i managed to get 2 40mm steppers, the rest are 48mm.

Can i use them?, would they fit?

they all have the same torque (more than enough)
June 05, 2013 12:05PM
Yes on the laser cut version you can either mod the bed to use the 48's on X and Y.

Or you can use RichRaps lower motor mount so the longer motor will fit on Z without loosing build height and use the other 48 on the extruder.

Or build the cable Z which can fit any length motor and use the other 48 on the extruder.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 05, 2013 12:23PM
perfect, thanks!

i will start to print the parts and post here when i have something worth it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login