Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing Tantillus on a slow printer

Posted by lajos 
printing Tantillus on a slow printer
May 06, 2013 01:58PM
Hi-

First of all thanks to Sublime for designing and sharing the Tantillus. I can't wait to get mine.

I made an extruder, hotend and some electronics to enable my CNC machine for 3d printing. I'm getting really nice prints, but since it's a CNC machine that pushes a heavy table and z axis around, I can't print very fast. I'm currently printing parts for a Tantillus with 10mm/sec perimeter, and 30mm/sec infill. I'm making the laser cut version (will use the CNC to cut the panels).

My home made hotend has a .4 mm nozzle. In KISSlicer I have 0.42mm extrusion width with 0.25mm layer height. I'm printing PLA. The parts look really nice, but a top bracket takes 3 hours. With this nozzle, how high can I go with extrusion width and layer height to speed up printing of my Tantillus parts?

Thanks-
-lajos
Re: printing Tantillus on a slow printer
May 06, 2013 02:18PM
Some parts you will need to stay where you are or even go a little lower with the layers. Specifically the gears and possibly the X/Y ends and carriage.

The limit for your extruder is most likely something like 0.35mm layers at 0.6mm width but that is a little dependent on the hotend and plastic too. But that size would work well with your axis speed as far as flow of plastic being close to that of a fast machine at lower layers. I would go through the layers in Kisslicer's viewer to be sure it has not left out large details that you would obviously need like holes and to be sure it is making continuous perimeters (if the extrusion is wider than the part being printed it will just not produce code for that section) otherwise Kisslicer has adaptive extrusion width (crowning) that will fill in small gaps smaller then the extrusion width.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 06, 2013 02:31PM
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm a complete novice at 3d printing, so I really appreciate all the help.

When you print the parts on the Tantillus, I assume you use a JHead with 0.4mm nozzle. What layer height and extrusion width do you use?
May 06, 2013 02:42PM
I use 0.5mm J-head for almost all my printing. Also use a 0.35 sometimes but currently do not have any installed on a machine.

These are the default configs for Tantillus [www.tantillus.org]

And I use these two the most often when printing Tantillus parts

[0.5 Coarse]
layer_thickness_mm=0.2
extrusion_width_mm=0.55
num_loops=2
skin_thickness_mm=1
infill_extrusion_width=0.55

[0.5 Default]
layer_thickness_mm=0.15
extrusion_width_mm=0.52
num_loops=2
skin_thickness_mm=1
infill_extrusion_width=0.52

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 06, 2013 06:31PM
Thanks so much! I've based my settings on the Tantillus profiles, but I had 3 loops like you have for the 0.35 nozzle. I'm now printing a top brace with two loops and a bit larger extrusion width, it looks like the brace will be done in a little over 2 hours. That helps. Still, it will take some time...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login