Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Parts for My 1st Printer

Posted by colpaert 
Need Parts for My 1st Printer
May 14, 2013 07:00AM
Hi folks,

I finally found the printer I want to build.
However, since it is my 1st one and it seems I'm the first among my friends to try, I have no easy way to get the printed parts.
Sublime's shop is still offline and eBay does not show up anybody either.
So, I was wondering if I could find here someone to sell me the printed parts for a Tantillus!
I'm sure I will have more to discuss once I can get my future printer to burn some plastic... smiling smiley
Who could give this brazilian folk a hand?
Re: Need Parts for My 1st Printer
May 14, 2013 10:42AM
I am in the same boat as colpaert. I'm currently a mechanical engineering student. I've been researching and following the forum for a while now and I would really like to put together a Tantillus. I just need to buy the printed parts and hobbed bolt from someone.

Has anyone tried the laser cut Tantillus parts from makerfarm.com?

[www.makerfarm.com]
May 14, 2013 01:46PM
@ colpaert you could talk to [tantillus-br.blogspot.com.br]

@ woolfe I believe the panels from Makerfarm are too thin for the corners as designed (say 6mm but are actually 5.5mm). But with some glue or remodelling of the corners they should work fine.

Sorry the store is still closed. Between becoming a dad a few months ago and moving I have not had much time to RepRap. I will try and get things going again as soon as possible.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 14, 2013 02:03PM
Congrats for your baby! Being a dad is the best thing in life. Ever. (Even if we get less play time.)
May 14, 2013 02:12PM
I could probably print a printed parts set for people in the US. As far as makerfarm, I made some corner pieces that would better fit them here: [www.thingiverse.com] as far as my thoughts on the makerfarm frame, it is good for the price but definitely on the lower end.
May 14, 2013 03:28PM
@Sublime 1st of all, congrats! I know exactly what you mean! I have a little princess that is 2.5 yrs old now smiling smiley
I have tried to contact the guy in that blog through another forum, but didn't get any response back yet. Thanks for your response.

@goopyplastic I'm in Brazil, so, not exactly in US... Which means I'm kind of out of range for you for now... sad smiley
If the restriction is because of shipping, let me know. I can try to figure out a way to get it from you up there in US.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I need the printed parts for the laser cut version, since I got a guy here in Rio to cut the plexi for me. So, the set I need would not be that big after all...
May 14, 2013 05:12PM
I have some not so perfect sets that I could sell you if you are willing to pay the shipping. There is nothing wrong with the parts structurally just cosmetically. If you are interested let me know and we will see what we can work out (although getting them locally would be better just in case you run into issues).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
May 14, 2013 08:07PM
Will be a great honor to have one of such "not so perfect" sets (if the shipping costs allow me to do so).
It will allow my printer to have a singular charm, enlightened by its real creator and not fated to be an ordinary copy anymore... winking smiley

I do receive some parcels coming from US, usually like Standard Int'l Shipping or First Class from USPS.
Would you have any idea on what the shipping costs will be?
I can use Paypal to transfer the amount to you, including the shipping costs, of course.
May 15, 2013 09:58PM
Quick question on the carriage...
I had the acrylic cut from the "all panels" file.
When I got the panels, I found out there was no carriage plate in there.
I didn't notice the plate didn't exist in the file and now I'm missing this part.
Well, I thought I could go over it by using the one used in the printed version.
However, I could not find the equivalent for the carriage plate for the printed version in the github repo.
Am I missing anything (other than the acrylic platesmiling smiley )?
May 15, 2013 10:46PM
The all panels is all the 6mm thick parts but that little hotend mount is actually 3mm thick. The stl version of it that I used to generate the DXF files is available in the github repo [github.com] <----- Looks like Github now has an STL viewer built in.

Note I have not built a machine with this part printed but I think it should work just fine. It is easy to cut by hand out of acrylic, just cut a square, drill a few holes and cut the corner off to make the slot.

May 15, 2013 11:34PM
Oh, I didn't notice it was 3mm thick instead of 6mm.
I will try to cut the plate myself. I just need to get my hands on some 3mm acrylic.
Thanks!

Let me just ask you this, the 5/16" rods are to fit the 608 bearings while the 8mm are to fit the lm8(s)uu linear bearings, right?
Do you think that by using all 5/16" rods, will it be too loose?
Because I guess I cannot use only 8mm rods since I think the 608 won't fit at all.
I wanted to get all rods from a single person, but this is not an easy task down here in Rio.
May 15, 2013 11:36PM
colpaert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, I didn't notice it was 3mm thick instead of
> 6mm.
> I will try to cut the plate myself. I just need to
> get my hands on some 3mm acrylic.
> Thanks!

Or 1/8" . Also you could use aluminium.

>
> Let me just ask you this, the 5/16" rods are to
> fit the 608 bearings while the 8mm are to fit the
> lm8(s)uu linear bearings, right?

Yes

> Do you think that by using all 5/16" rods, will it
> be too loose?

Yes I have tried.

> Because I guess I cannot use only 8mm rods since I
> think the 608 won't fit at all.
> I wanted to get all rods from a single person, but
> this is not an easy task down here in Rio.

Others have made 8mm work by using a hammer or by sanding down the ends of the rods.

May 16, 2013 12:20AM
I will add that 8mm precision shafting seems to fit through the 608's fine, the rods I bought from VXB (chromed steel) and ultimachine (stainless steel) do, I think the irregularity of less precise rods like drill rods are where 8mm won't fit through (the 8mm drill rod from mcmaster would not fit).
May 16, 2013 12:43AM
I sent an email to makerfarm asking about the thickness of the laser cut parts. They insured me that the parts are now cut from 6mm acrylic. They even sent a picture of them measuring a sheet of acrylic with calipers. I’m thinking I’ll go with them for my Tantillus build. I’ll let everyone know about the fitment of the parts once I get them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login