Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4" bolt too short for extruder?

Posted by lajos 
4" bolt too short for extruder?
May 14, 2013 11:44AM
The 4" 5/16 bolt I got for the extruder seems short. Did I print the wrong extruder body or gear?

Re: 4" bolt too short for extruder?
May 14, 2013 01:39PM
Strange. Four inch is just long enough to get the nut on about 3/4 of the nuts threads for me. I normally use 4-1/4" though because it has more threads and just fits without hitting the motor. Do you have washers on the top? Does the bearing fit in the top opening well? Is your bolt 4" under the head or including the head?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 14, 2013 02:01PM
The bolt is 4" from the bottom of the head (with the head it's 4 5/32"). I don't have any washers and the bearings sit well in their sockets.

I'll check the measurement of the printed part against the stl, but it was made on a calibrated cnc, so I would be surprised if the height would be wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 02:12PM by lajos.
May 14, 2013 09:27PM
I can't find any 4 1/4" bolts (unless if I buy 100 pcs), but got some 4 1/2" at the hw store. Little long but I'll shim it with some washers. Will be easier to hob further from the head, too, so it might actually be a good replacement.
May 15, 2013 02:12AM
Yes I have threaded one further and cut off the excess because the 4-1/4 are special order here as well.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login