Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hotend not heating up

Posted by Hobocop 
Hotend not heating up
June 03, 2013 04:31PM
Trying to get the tantillus set up again and started having an issue... The temperature just isn't moving. It started doing this once I had the tantillus hooked up to a new computer and installed the drivers/pronterface. First trial print it heated up to about 180, then the hotend seemed to shut off and won't start heating up again.

This happens even when the tantillus is not connected to the computer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Re: Hotend not heating up
June 03, 2013 05:42PM
Just found the other similar thread on page 3. Seems like the symptoms are the same (red light comes on, thermister is reading the temp. correctly). But I feel like this same issue came up once before and Sublime had a quick fix for it when he was in our office. I just can't remember what it was sad smiley
June 03, 2013 05:53PM
Hmm....

If you have a multimeter check for voltage on either side of the heater resistor. If you have around 15V then it is most likely the resistor has burnt out. You can also measure the resistance across the heater resistor. It should measure around 5.6ohms and if it does not measure anything then it is burnt out. Either you can get a new resistor or a ceramic heater cartridge. I just started using a 40watt ceramic heater and it heats up in 30seconds at 15V.

Google "12v 40w ceramic cartridge heater" and you will find things like [dx.com]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 07, 2013 05:45PM
Thanks, was able to test it today with a friends multimeter. We measured about 19V, and 45 kohms.
June 07, 2013 05:52PM
Hobocop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, was able to test it today with a friends
> multimeter. We measured about 19V, and 45 kohms.

45kohms is most likely the result of the other ends of the wires connected to the board allowing some continuity across the transistor or even your hands. I would say you have a dead heater resistor.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login