Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with LCD and Encoder

Posted by woolfe 
Help with LCD and Encoder
June 25, 2013 02:39AM
My Tantillus build is coming along well however I am having some difficulty getting the LCD to work.

When I have the LCD plugged in the ramps board and the arduino don’t turn on. None of the lights on arduino turn on or flash when I plug the printer into usb and/or 15v power. However, with the LCD not plugged in I was able to upload the arduino firmware and move the axises with pronterface. Ive attached a couple of pictures of the LCD. Maybe I messed up somewhere with the wiring.

I am also unsure of how to wire the Encoder. I bought the recommended encoder from suntekstore.
Attachments:
open | download - LCD Wiring.jpg (564 KB)
open | download - LCD Front.jpg (568.2 KB)
open | download - Encoder.jpg (118.5 KB)
Re: Help with LCD and Encoder
June 25, 2013 02:49AM
For the encoder check this thread [forums.reprap.org]

For the LCD it may be possible that the pots you used are not center to the wiper and causing a short. Also on the back of the LCD there is a little jumper pad that some times comes soldered over that needs to be unsoldered for the contrast to work correctly. Also be sure to check for shorts across all your connections (they look really good in the picture but you never know). There is also a small chance the LCD is defective. Out of about 150 I have purchased I have found two or three that were simply bad.

I would test it by connecting just the + and - to see if it lights up or if it causes the issue. I would then connect the rest of the wires one at a time until I found which one was the culprit.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Help with LCD and Encoder
June 25, 2013 01:25PM
You need ground on the LCD's pin 16 for the backlight.

Are you sure about potentiometer pins? maybe it's not the common layout where the divider pin is in the middle? That could also be causing the short.

I would hook up the LCD to a 5V power supply, make sure that it lights up before potentially blowing a power regulator (or the microcontroller if you power it from a pin) on the arduino.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 01:27PM by lajos.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login