Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BOM with suppliers

Posted by flemming 
BOM with suppliers
July 07, 2013 05:07PM
I took the BOM from the Tantillus site and started to try and fill in suppliers and estimate the cost of self sourcing a laser cut version. I got pretty far, but came up short on a few items. In the end I think I'll just cross my fingers and hope that Sublime puts kits up for sale again smiling smiley Since I went through the trouble though, I thought I'd post my results in case anyone wants to fill in the gaps or have a good starting point for doing it on their own. Feel free to leave comments in the spreadsheet if I got something wrong or if you have an alternate recommendation. I know I could save a few bucks here and there, for example by not buying a pre-assembled electronics kits, but much like Sublime I've got a young child at home so spare time isn't exactly something I'm drowning in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AukQAeTDCPwVdDYxRy1XcC1CZEk2WGFuMl9pbjBVcFE#gid=0

Robert
Re: BOM with suppliers
July 07, 2013 08:07PM
You can get stepper motors cheaper in the US. The last motors I got from here, order shipped same day, received in a couple days. (When I bought the motors they were on sale for under $10, but $12 is not bad either.) The motors run cool and they are super quiet.

You listed 10 encoders, you only need one.

I built the cable version of the Z axis, which works great. In that case you don't need the threaded rod but need two extra 608 bearings.

The 4" bolt ended up being too short for the extruder. I'd suggest getting 4 1/2" or 5" and cutting it or adding a bushing on top.

I saw the same linear bearings on amazon, but after reading the seller's reviews I decided not to buy them and went a different route with bearings. Sublime probably knows a better source, he might even have some for sale.

Are you sure RAMPS can handle 15V? I have this power supply and works well.
July 07, 2013 08:38PM
lajos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can get stepper motors cheaper in the US. The
> last motors I got from here, order shipped same
> day, received in a couple days. (When I bought the
> motors they were on sale for under $10, but $12 is
> not bad either.) The motors run cool and they are
> super quiet.

Thanks for the pointer, though right now the cost is a wash. These have a 5mm shaft while the ones I initially put are 4mm, so a few other parts in the BOM will need to change.

> You listed 10 encoders, you only need one.

They come in a pack of 10. I picked that encoder and LCD because it's one that was previously mentioned on the forum.

> The 4" bolt ended up being too short for the
> extruder. I'd suggest getting 4 1/2" or 5" and
> cutting it or adding a bushing on top.

The hobbed bolt? I was unable to find one for sale with the required specs so that's one item I'm missing a supplier for.

> I saw the same linear bearings on amazon, but
> after reading the seller's reviews I decided not
> to buy them and went a different route with
> bearings. Sublime probably knows a better source,
> he might even have some for sale.

Yeah the reviews are indeed dicey. I wasn't trying to keep the number of vendors down, but if I can one stop shop higher quality bearing elsewhere, so be it.

> Are you sure RAMPS can handle 15V? I have this
> power supply and works well.

I'm pretty sure I saw Sublime mention a 15v 90w Toshiba power supply at some point so I that's what I looked for.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, so my choices may have erred on the side of caution/ignorance smiling smiley

Thanks for the tips.

Robert
July 07, 2013 10:13PM
I have this encoder from digikey: 987-1192-ND. It works with the knob that Sublime made. Digikey shipping is $1.35 (at least that's what I pay in MA, I assume you are in th US because you have stuff from bolt depot).

4 1/4" size bolt for the extruder is hard to find and very expensive. For me the 4" was too short (see post here). So yes, for the hobbed bolt, if you are making your own, you'll need 4 1/2" or 5".
July 08, 2013 02:10AM
lajos Wrote:
> Are you sure RAMPS can handle 15V? I have this
> power supply and works well.

The RAMPS and drivers can handle 35V I believe. Its the Arduino that has the voltage regulator that can be an issue. But with that said it is rated at 19V and I found that at 15V keeps the regulator from overheating without the need for extra cooling.

There is also a board now called a Tuarino which is an Arduino mega with a 35V regulator on it to handle even higher voltages.

The advantage of higher voltage is faster step rate due to the chopper reaching cut off faster.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 08, 2013 02:13AM
I do have stock now on the 4-1/4" hobbed bolts.

The short linear bearings I use I buy from china in large quantities and have to be special ordered as they are again not a stock size. But I have not ordered any in months and have no stock.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
July 08, 2013 02:38PM
The hobby king compact power supply is working well for me so far.

[www.hobbyking.com]

It is outputs 15v and is not very expensive.
July 08, 2013 03:27PM
woolfe Wrote:
> The hobby king compact power supply is working
> well for me so far.
>
> [www.hobbyking.com]
> HobbyKing_105w_7A_Compact_Power_Supply_100v_240v_.
> html
>
> It is outputs 15v and is not very expensive.

That's a nice looking power supply. Is the fan quiet?

July 08, 2013 06:21PM
> That's a nice looking power supply. Is the fan quiet?

The fan is a little bit loud. It is always on full blast. It never even gets warm though. Maybe a resistor could be put in series with it to quiet it down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login