Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed too low

Posted by maik 
Bed too low
August 02, 2013 03:38AM
So I finally got my build finished and went to start leveling the bed. I've pushed the endstop all the way up against the upper z bracket, told it to find Z home and there's still a good 1/2"between the bed and the tip of the nozzle.

Did I do something wrong? I'm assuming this can be fixed with longer bolts between the top and bottom, but I'm using the ones from the BOM.
Re: Bed too low
August 02, 2013 10:38AM
Are you by chance using a J-Head Mk V? I know it is a bit shorter than previous J-Heads.
August 02, 2013 01:53PM
Yeah the instructions are for the J-head I supplied with the kits which was in between the length of a Mk4 and a Mk5 so the bed bolts may be too short for a stock Mk5.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 02, 2013 03:00PM
So would it be better to use a Mk4 like this one [www.makerfarm.com] if we are following the build guide on Tantillus.org?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2013 03:02PM by Nick101.
August 02, 2013 04:03PM
Nick101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So would it be better to use a Mk4 like this one
> [www.makerfarm.com]
> -head-mk-iv-b-hot-end-for-3mm-filament.html if we
> are following the build guide on Tantillus.org?

You may lose some of the build height with the Mk4 being longer if the two beds are not really close to each other.

The cable Z axis is designed with the Mk5's length in mind.

When I first designed Tantillus there was no Mk5 and it was designed to use the Mk4. But during the campaign I had the chance to try out a prototype Mk5 and liked the way it printed more than the Mk4 but found the length a little too short for the bed bolts so I had Hotends.com produce all my Mk5 hotends longer to work without having to make too many changes to the kits already being produced. Anyone self sourcing since has either used a longer hotend, longer bolts or the cable Z axis.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login