Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantillus Metric with 5mm Acylic

Posted by zungmann 
Tantillus Metric with 5mm Acylic
August 22, 2013 06:14AM
Sublime / All,

I would like to build a Tantillus, but the laser cut service only have 5mm acrylic, what needs to be change in the model / plastic part (Metric version) to adjust the thickness (I assume it has to be 6mm)? Would be a potential issue?
Re: Tantillus Metric with 5mm Acylic
August 23, 2013 02:07PM
You would need to adjust the printed corner pieces to fit the 5mm acrylic as well as the tabs on the corners of the laser cut acrylic.

I built the first laser cut acrylic machine out of 5.5mm as a result of the supplier cutting it out of the wrong material. It was strong but the extra 0.5mm of the 6mm panels made the machine a lot stronger so I would be a little concerned about using 5mm.

There is one machine being built out of 4mm that you could have a look at. I think his extra panels in the bottom should allow for the thinner material while maintaining the rigidity. [bikealive.nl]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
August 23, 2013 06:11PM
Perhaps they have other materials in 6mm thickness? Polycarbonate or Dibond come to mind, I don't know if any Tantillus has been made from those but no reason it shouldn't work (as far as I know).
August 24, 2013 11:16PM
Thanks for the inputs and suggestions. So I will better find 6mm acrylic. There is dibond or plywood or even alu plate, but I love the acrylic for being transparent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login