Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1/4 inch acrylic

Posted by wingnut 
1/4 inch acrylic
September 04, 2013 09:30PM
Here in the US, I can buy 1/4 acrylic locally. Will that work with printed parts made for 6mm? Is it close enough.
Re: 1/4 inch acrylic
September 04, 2013 11:02PM
I've never tried it but it seems to me that parts printed for a 6mm sheet will not fit over 1/4" acrylic, which is 0.014" thicker.

Chuck
September 07, 2013 04:30PM
Why not just get a small piece and print one of the parts for testing? Maybe you could fix the 0,3mm difference with the printer/slicer settings when printing the parts or with just a little scaling.

Frank
[geekwerkstatt.de]
September 15, 2013 09:51AM
My Tantillus was built out of 1/4" MDF so I had to modify some of the plastic pieces to for the thicker material. You can find them on github.
September 15, 2013 03:22PM
I ended up finding some acrylic that was slightly undersized (around 5.7mm) .

interesting how many people suggested printing my own parts. this will be my first printer so its not an option. I take it that most tantillus owners start out with something else? is there something a about a tantillus that makes it a bad first printer?
September 15, 2013 03:34PM
Not really bad but it's indeed kind of a special one: It's a rather complicated setup due to the fishing line, also you have to find someone to cut the acrylic or anything similar. It has a much smaller build plate and isn't that accessible in every aspect. Also others like Mendel90, Prusa i2/i3, MendelMax, etc. are much more popular, easy to find and available in complete kits which makes it easier for beginners.

Apart from that i don't see a reason why you shouldn't start going with a Tantillus.

Frank
[geekwerkstatt.de]
September 15, 2013 04:59PM
Two big factors that lead to my choosing the Tantillus where the fact that I had access to free laser cutting and finding the printed parts kit on ebay for $60. The jurry is still out on whether the printed parts are serviceable. If it turns out that they are not then I may end up switching to a Prusa.
September 16, 2013 01:56AM
You could then still ask someone in the forums to print you some new parts. that's often done and often of better quality. I would offer that but shipping them from germany to the US would probably make it expensive smiling smiley

Frank
[geekwerkstatt.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login