Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1/4 inch acrylic

Posted by wingnut 
1/4 inch acrylic
September 04, 2013 09:30PM
Here in the US, I can buy 1/4 acrylic locally. Will that work with printed parts made for 6mm? Is it close enough.
Re: 1/4 inch acrylic
September 04, 2013 11:02PM
I've never tried it but it seems to me that parts printed for a 6mm sheet will not fit over 1/4" acrylic, which is 0.014" thicker.

Chuck
September 07, 2013 04:30PM
Why not just get a small piece and print one of the parts for testing? Maybe you could fix the 0,3mm difference with the printer/slicer settings when printing the parts or with just a little scaling.

Frank
September 15, 2013 09:51AM
My Tantillus was built out of 1/4" MDF so I had to modify some of the plastic pieces to for the thicker material. You can find them on github.
September 15, 2013 03:22PM
I ended up finding some acrylic that was slightly undersized (around 5.7mm) .

interesting how many people suggested printing my own parts. this will be my first printer so its not an option. I take it that most tantillus owners start out with something else? is there something a about a tantillus that makes it a bad first printer?
September 15, 2013 03:34PM
Not really bad but it's indeed kind of a special one: It's a rather complicated setup due to the fishing line, also you have to find someone to cut the acrylic or anything similar. It has a much smaller build plate and isn't that accessible in every aspect. Also others like Mendel90, Prusa i2/i3, MendelMax, etc. are much more popular, easy to find and available in complete kits which makes it easier for beginners.

Apart from that i don't see a reason why you shouldn't start going with a Tantillus.

Frank
September 15, 2013 04:59PM
Two big factors that lead to my choosing the Tantillus where the fact that I had access to free laser cutting and finding the printed parts kit on ebay for $60. The jurry is still out on whether the printed parts are serviceable. If it turns out that they are not then I may end up switching to a Prusa.
September 16, 2013 01:56AM
You could then still ask someone in the forums to print you some new parts. that's often done and often of better quality. I would offer that but shipping them from germany to the US would probably make it expensive smiling smiley

Frank
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login