Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printed Parts

Posted by wingnut 
Printed Parts
September 12, 2013 10:39AM
Ordered printed parts from Ebay. This is my first experience holding a printed part and I have to say that I'm disappointed. This the first time I've held a printed part in my hand so I'm trying to reserve judgement but these things look really rough. In fact all of the upper corner supports all have at least one crack along the 'grain' of the plastic. Another wrinkle is that I received what appear to be pulleys instead of gears for the stepper motors. I guess this is a belt drive option but I was not expecting this. Also, the teeth in the pulleys don't seem very well defined. Seems like they would slip easily. I'm including a few pictures. Any advice would be welcome:

Re: Printed Parts
September 12, 2013 10:58AM
Your parts look very similar to the ones that I purchased off ebay from Wardtech. If you bought them from him too, I would encourage you to get in contact with him and let him know about the cracked parts (include pictures). I had a couple of cracked parts as well and he shipped me replacements promptly and without charge. I would also mention the pulley / gear situation to him.
September 12, 2013 11:06AM
Same seller. Glad to hear that he stands behind his work.

Am I being too picky? Do these parts look ok to you?

Any thoughts on the pulleys? Did yours look like the ones above? Did they work?
September 12, 2013 11:16AM
I think this is bad quality, the pulley is worthless, I think. Maybe the rest is usable.
I just can't understand people try to sell this, I would throw it away and try again.

I suggest you try to get your money back (I take this back)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 03:39AM by jand.
September 12, 2013 11:28AM
I wouldn't say you're being too picky, but for $50, I don't think we can expect high accuracy. I have run into many situations where I have to cut / trim / sand / swear at a part before it would work as it was supposed to.

As far as the pulleys go, I haven't used mine yet. I got some XY gears from Sublime. I'll also direct you to what he told me regarding the pulleys:

"They do reduce your top speed because they gear down the system and you reach the maximum pulses per second our electronics can deliver. This is not really an issue but the faster you can have a travel move the less chance of ooze you can have."

I've also heard that the pulleys are much quieter. Sublime gave me the part number of the pulley belts he used: gates powergrip 267-3GT-06
September 12, 2013 01:42PM
OK. Based on your response, I'm leaning toward replacing the printed pulleys with aluminum GT2 pulleys off ebay but just using the rest of the parts. I guess I can always print my own parts when I get the printer going. Thanks for the help.
September 12, 2013 04:55PM
I ordered from Wardtech as well. He sent me replacements for a few parts as well as a missing part for free. After I realized I needed the gears instead of pulleys I offered to pay shipping and he gladly obliged. The parts are definitely rough are more than adequate for the printer. I've since printed my own gears.
September 12, 2013 07:58PM
Same here, Wardtech parts. The parts were good enough to get me going but I'm slowly going to replace as many parts as I need to. The biggest problem that I've had is that my extruder exploded. I didn't like the pulleys and didn't think that I could get any decent gears so I went direct drive.

But I have to confess that Wards' parts are still better than 90% of MY prints so far.
September 13, 2013 03:37AM
Considering the reactions from others, I was probably too hard. It seems the parts are usable, so I take back my advice on getting your money back.
It is probably not fair to Wardtech. I still think the quality is low. I can hardly imagine the pulley will give acceptable results.
September 13, 2013 12:27PM
Those parts look pretty rough. While they may be serviceable, but I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable to give away -- much less sell -- parts that looked like that. If you need XY gears, PM me your address and I'll drop a set in the mail for you. I have an extra set that I printed in natural PLA that I've no use for.
September 13, 2013 07:58PM
I would call most of those unusable parts. I have scraped a lot of parts a lot better then those. I also charged almost $250 a set for the printed parts so I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
September 13, 2013 08:55PM
Ohhh. Kay.. I guess this isn't going to work. This is the result of trying to press a bearing into the bottom of the extruder:

I've contacted the seller and he seems like a nice enough guy. He offered to replace the broken parts (six pieces after a more thorough inspection) and even offered to throw in the acrylic carriage spacer which I'm missing from my cut parts. But, at this point confidence is low that any of these parts would hold together long enough to print replacements. My preference would be to not start out assuming I will have to build this thing twice to begin with.

Sublime:
I've read enough on this forum to know that your parts would be top shelf but $250 for just the printed parts seems a bit steep.

Anyone else know where I can find a descent set of printed parts? I'm thinking that something closer to $150 would be fair for quality parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 09:00PM by wingnut.
September 14, 2013 12:15AM
Those are support structures that need to be removed anyways, take another look at the build guide : [www.tantillus.org]

I may have some other parts, I'll check and get back to you.
September 14, 2013 01:37AM
Well darn! I see that now. Thanks!
September 14, 2013 12:02PM

Here is the picture that you requested

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2013 12:03PM by SkyArcher.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (61.3 KB)
September 14, 2013 01:30PM
wingnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sublime:
> I've read enough on this forum to know that your
> parts would be top shelf but $250 for just the
> printed parts seems a bit steep.

I know it sounds like a lot but it was plastic cost plus $2/hr to print. You then take a loss every time you have a failure. Plus you have packing and shipping costs.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
September 14, 2013 06:06PM
That breakdown is interesting Sublime. So how long does it take to print a full set for the Tantillus?
Thanks for the pic SkyArcher. That's something to think about.
September 14, 2013 08:42PM
That's an interesting question. When I ran the indiegogo campaign and getting them out was more important than finish it took 40-60hours a set (still good just not perfect) on a variety of machines. After that the finish was more important than the time it took to print so they take about 100hrs each on a single machine printing one part at a time at 0.15mm layers and high infill on most of the parts (solid gears that take 5 hrs each).

September 16, 2013 05:55AM
What is this part used for? Anyway, where can I get vehicle inspection sticker?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2013 10:18PM by ShayneBrown.
September 16, 2013 05:22PM
Print times sound reasonable, Sublime. I printed a set for lasercut machine in basically a weekend printing on 2 machines (Ultimaker, Prusa). I print a lot faster now though, I wonder how quickly I could bang out a set... hmm!
September 16, 2013 05:38PM
I really think you sould find out!
I know a guy who can use the parts when you're done....grinning smiley
September 16, 2013 09:25PM
I have to chime in here. I got parts for my tantillus for the z axis from both wardtech and Sublime and there is no comparison. If you care about quality and parts fitting as well as finish, just get the parts from Sublime and not worry about anything. I have a stack of useless parts in my bin that I thought I was saving money on. You get what you pay for. The axis alone was enough for me to spend the money on this. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.
September 17, 2013 01:16AM
Sublime's printed parts would no doubt be a work of art but at $250, I'm not convinced that they represent a good value. He said himself that he could print good a set in 40 hours. Using his own numbers, that comes out to $80 for print time + material cost. If he's at the point now where he's not interested in selling merely good parts, then I can respect that. For my part, I'm checking out some repstrap ideas. It's the long road for sure but isn't that what this hobby is about?
September 19, 2013 05:41PM
Wingnut, let me know what parts you need re-printed and I'll see about finding some time in the near future.
September 19, 2013 09:39PM
Oh wow! That would be awesome. I think all I need are the gears for the extruder and the bottom half of the carriage. I own a lathe so I plan on turning some nylon bushings to replace the printed ones. I'd be happy to turn a few extra if anyone else would like to try the doing the same. Thanks!
September 20, 2013 11:23AM
Are these acceptable? They will need some cleanup along the bottom of the part and along the bearing groove, but should otherwise be serviceable.
I'll run the extruder gears tonight at a higher quality setting.

[i.imgur.com]

Looks like I need to tear down my printer and fix the Z-axis wobble...
September 20, 2013 04:09PM
That was fast. Heck of alot nicer then what I now. Thanks! Will pm you my address.
October 01, 2013 11:04AM
Thank you Nyarlathotep! The parts arrived and they are amazing. You've restored my enthusiasm for 3D printing. I hope to get the chance to pay it forward one day.
October 01, 2013 11:42AM
No worries, hope they work out for you. Looking forward to seeing your first print!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login