Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burnt Regulator?

Posted by cameronm 
Burnt Regulator?
September 30, 2013 11:21PM
Hello,

I was following the Tantillus build guide for connecting the power connector and I had it all set up, plugged the power into the Ramps 1.4 and Tosduino Mega I got from lulz bot, the light came on and then a few seconds later smoke started to come out from the Tosduino. I believe its the power regulator that burnt because its right next to the little 3 prong SMD component. I don't know if I had it wired wrong or what, but I don't know where to begin to diagnose the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great! I might try contacting lulz bot and see what they say.

Thank you,

Cameron
Re: Burnt Regulator?
October 01, 2013 09:38AM
quick question. Do you have installed D1 on RAMPS shield?
October 01, 2013 11:40AM
Yours is the first I have ever heard of burning out. The regulator on a real Arduino is designed to handle a max of 19v. The 15v power supply does make the regulator run hot but to this day I have not had one die and no one has reported one being damaged. I would ask your supplier about it, maybe that clone was not designed to handle that high of voltage or possibly the regulator was bad or poorly thermally connected to the PCB.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
October 01, 2013 02:37PM
Hello,

Yes I do believe there is a diode connected to D1.

I guess I looked at the product discription and read "The Tosduino MEGA 2560 is completely compatible with the Arduino MEGA 2560." And assumed it was true! But after reading the specifications it does say input voltage 6-12v. It's Kind of ironic thinking I am saving $20 to $30, but instead end up spending $80 to $90. Maybe I will try to get a better regulator and salvage the knock off.

Thank you for the help,

Cameron
October 02, 2013 05:37AM
I almost burnt out my 5V reg because I am running on 19V, I replaced it with a recom switching reg from memory one of these: [www.recom-international.com][xseries]=R-78Bxx-1.0(L)+R-78C+R-78xx-1.0
October 02, 2013 02:11PM
Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to look in to that!

Thank you,

Cameron
October 10, 2013 08:15PM
There are a *lot* of cheap switcher regulators on ebay. Typical delivered price is sub $3. They will take 15 to 30 volts in and turn it into a nice save 6 or 7 volts for the cpu board.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login