Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Minimum Temp

Posted by wingnut 
Minimum Temp
December 19, 2013 09:28AM
I've been chasing what I thought was an intermittent connection to my thermistor for a while. When I start the print, I often get a minimum temperature error. It started getting really bad lately. It looks now like my room is just too cold. I discovered that, If I warm up the hot end with a hair drier, it starts fine every time. I guess I need to bump up the minimum temp setting but where is that?
Re: Minimum Temp
December 19, 2013 11:53AM
Min temp is set in the configuration.h file of Marlin (line 73 in my branch), it is set to 5c by default.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 19, 2013 01:13PM
Interesting. My room is not that cold... Will check. Thanks.
December 19, 2013 01:17PM
wingnut
Interesting. My room is not that cold... Will check. Thanks.

The thermistor temp table is not calibrated for low temperatures so it will not be accurate and may read 0 at 5-20c. Also if you have one of the latest J-heads from hotends.com they use a different thermistor and there may not even be a table for in my branch of Marlin which would cause all kinds of temp issues

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
December 19, 2013 01:40PM
Hmm. Last time I looked at this config file, I didn't notice how many different thermistor configurations there are. I'm wondering now if I have the wrong thermistor configuration selected. I actually went with a pre-assembled budget ebay hot end (yeah.. I know :-) ). Been thinking about one of those all metal hotends from E3D. Probably would have saved me a ton of headache.
December 19, 2013 02:07PM
wingnut
Hmm. Last time I looked at this config file, I didn't notice how many different thermistor configurations there are. I'm wondering now if I have the wrong thermistor configuration selected. I actually went with a pre-assembled budget ebay hot end (yeah.. I know :-) ). Been thinking about one of those all metal hotends from E3D. Probably would have saved me a ton of headache.

It may be worth just buying a thermistor that you know the specs for.

December 19, 2013 03:04PM
Really? You don't think I should just buy a better hotend? Any thoughts on the E3D hotend?
December 19, 2013 03:58PM
wingnut
Really? You don't think I should just buy a better hotend? Any thoughts on the E3D hotend?

It will only cost you a couple of bucks to try the new thermistor and as long as the cheap j-head has a liner and hollow set screw it should work ok.

With all metal hotends you have to do some things different, more cooling of the upper fins but not the lower, some people report even lower temps for PLA, some people simply say you can not print PLA with them. I really don't know much about them other than what I have read. Last thing is because the E3D has large fins and requires the fan to be mounted to the hotend for PLA I do not think it would fit a stock Tantillus carriage and even with modifications I think you would lose some of the print area. If you want a hotend other than a J-head I would consider a Makergear hotend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login