Making Embossed letters stand out on models
December 28, 2013 09:15PM
So with the Tantillus of course you only have one head, so only one color during a print. So I was doing a drill stand to tidy up my drills bits and thought how do I get text to stand out on the stand without two color printing. My original thought was I will embossed text into the stand and I'll get some UV cure paint to fill up the embossing. But I forgot to get some paint and saw my syringe full of MEK + red ABS sitting on my bench. So I thought why not fill the lettering up with this. It was quiet thin so it took about four times off filling up the lettering and letting it dry to achieve this result:

Its not perfect and the color choice is horrid even for a 'color blind' engineer like me but that lettering is not going to come off in a long time. Probably with a bit of practice and correct color choices this could look quiet nice.

No idea if this is a common trick I have stumbled on but I though I would share anyhow.
Re: Making Embossed letters stand out on models
December 28, 2013 09:59PM
Looks good. I can't say I remember seeing anyone else do it that way (except with paint). Is the yellow ABS as well or is it red ABS in yellow PLA?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: Making Embossed letters stand out on models
December 28, 2013 10:34PM
Sublime
Is the yellow ABS as well or is it red ABS in yellow PLA?

It is yellow PLA and red ABS. MEK seems not to melt the PLA. If the embosed pocket was ABS I would say it would melt with the MEK and not be a sharp edge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login