Calculator size question
January 24, 2014 04:09PM
For selecting the size of your print the calculator says:

Size of the average layer cross section.

Micro = Less than 0.5cm x 0.5cm = 0.25cm^2
Tiny = Less than 1cm x 1cm = 1cm^2
Small = Less than 2.5cm x 2.5cm = 6.25cm^2
Medium = Less than 3.5cm x 3.5cm = 12.25cm^2
Large = Less than 5cm x 5cm = 25cm^2
Extra Large = Greater than 5cm x 5cm

For hollow or thin wall objects use a smaller size

The ambiguous bit in my mind is "average layer cross section". For example if I'm printing a plate with several independent objects on it should I be using the average cross section of the individual objects or the cross section of the entire plate? The same sort of thing would apply for printing a large object that when sliced would really be made up of many smaller islands. My hunch is that it's the individual bits and not the entire contents of the plate, but I thought I'd ask.

Robert
Re: Calculator size question
January 24, 2014 07:21PM
It is intended to set the speed in a way that allows the layers to cool. So if your plate has a lot of tall narrow objects I would set it to their cross section size so they have time to cool when they are printing after the large section. But this could make the entire print really slow so I would print them separately if possible. If that is not the situation and the entire plate is generally the same height I would set it the combined overall area. The phrasing means that if ten layers are 5cm^2 and ten layers are 2cm^2 the average would be 3.5cm^2. Which should work for the entire print. But again if there are small sections at the top that get printed alone you may need to use them as the cross section area to ensure they do not get printed to fast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2014 03:36PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login