Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Tantillus/Ingentis variant

Posted by naxem42 
My Tantillus/Ingentis variant
February 23, 2014 03:29PM
Hello,

I wanted to see what you thought about my variant. It started as the idea of an aluminum extrusion Ultimaker, then I found out about Ingentis and the Tantillus. It'll be driven with 65lb fishing line or another static line. Would just wrapping the line around a metal shaft collar instead of drilling a hole or printing a pulley work? The clear bed is just so you can see through it, and will be metal. The total build volume should be around one cubic foot.

I placed the z steppers such that the frame itself will be a heat sink for them.
Attachments:
open | download - 3DprinterR3.jpg (23.8 KB)
open | download - 3DprinterR4.jpg (31.9 KB)
Re: My Tantillus/Ingentis variant
February 23, 2014 04:32PM
Good to see another variation.

If you check out JimJimma's G+ page you can follow the progress a little more than what he posts here. [plus.google.com]

At one point he used printed spools and recently he has removed them in favour of wrapping the cables directly around the rod without holes through the rod.

Also the cable Z axis does not have a hole for the cable and it has never slipped.

Edit: Ingentis is currently running 120lb line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 04:33PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 23, 2014 04:57PM
Thank you for the link. Looks like it's working really well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 04:58PM by naxem42.
February 23, 2014 05:13PM
Also I highly recommend staying away from a lead screw Z axis.

Have a read through [forums.reprap.org]

As well as look at the results of Ingentis, Up printers, Delta bots, Tantillus cable Z axis which all have belt or cable Z axis and produce consistent reliable wobble free prints.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
February 23, 2014 10:31PM
Cool.

I saw he's using a 36 and 74 tooth pulleys for it. What if you used a 20 and 100 tooth or something? Would it help at all?
February 23, 2014 11:39PM
Ingentis is geared down because he is using something like a 36 tooth pulley for the main belt as well so it needed to have the reduction to get a decent resolution. His gearing now allows for a really nice layer interval with something like 0.01mm per step. For Tantillus's cable Z axis it is a spool directly attached to the motor and has a limited layer interval based on the printed spools final circumference. My cable Z axis has 0.009934433 mm per step which only allows for a few good good layer heights without major rounding errors.

February 25, 2014 08:25PM
Ok, I see.

Ok, I've probably given this a lot more thought than I should have, but here it goes anyway.

Given a 20 tooth pulley, the belt will move 20mm per revolution (I think) because each tooth is 1mm. Geared down by a factor of 5(100 tooth pulley), the belt on the z axis will move 20(20/100)mm = 4mm per revolution of the stepper motor. It has 200 steps per rev., so 4/200mm = 0.02mm per step, a nice even number.

With the 36 and 74 tooth pulleys, it's 36(36/74)mm = 17.51351... mm. Divided by 200 it's 0.087567...mm per step.

But there are already great results with the current setup. I'm just wondering if it will make a difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
February 25, 2014 10:22PM
naxem42
Given a 20 tooth pulley, the belt will move 20mm per revolution (I think) because each tooth is 1mm.

Most RepRap suppliers sell 2mm pitch GT2 blets and pulleys and I have some that are 3mm so it would move 40-60mm per revolution with those. Also note that the larger the pulley you use the less backlash you will get because it gets averaged over the teeth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login