Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suggestions for improvement

Posted by maik 
Suggestions for improvement
March 28, 2014 10:32AM
Just found this cute guy on Thingiverse last night (thing:257911) and figured I'd give it a shot. It turned out better than I expected, the legs and head broke free for articulation relatively easily.

Just looking for improvements based off of the pictures here. I'm using Elmer's glue stick which seems to give me the best results for bed adhesion (though a sticky residue is left on the parts, something I'm sure a bit of warm water will cure), and Maker Shed Blue 3mm.

KISS settings are:
[Style]
Skin Thickness: 1		Extrusion Width: 0.41
Number of Loops: 3		Infill Extrusion Width: 0.41
Infill: 25% Octagonal		Layer Thickness: 0.15
Wipe and Destring checked
Seam Hiding: 1.0		Loops: 36.25 mm/s
Solid: 32.50 mm/s		Sparse: 42.50 mm/s

[Material]
Diameter: 3		  Temp: Main: 192, First Layer: 195, Keep-Warm: 130
Destring P/S/ W
	 5/5/10
	 Speed: 500
	 Min Jump: 1
	 Trigger: 5

Let me know if there are any more relevant settings I can include.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 10:33AM by maik.
Attachments:
open | download - elephant 1.JPG (90.1 KB)
open | download - elephant 2.JPG (91.5 KB)
open | download - elephant 3.JPG (88.8 KB)
open | download - elephant 4.JPG (88.1 KB)
open | download - elephant 5.JPG (92 KB)
open | download - elephant 6.JPG (103.1 KB)
open | download - elephant 7.JPG (99.9 KB)
open | download - elephant 8.JPG (104.6 KB)
Re: Suggestions for improvement
March 28, 2014 01:04PM
The only problem areas I see are around the trunk and the seam on the hind quarter.

The seam on the hind quarter looks like it is a little starved of plastic and my guess is the wipe may be a little excessive at 10mm. Try 5mm and see if the seams change at all.

For the trunk I think the issue is the sections are so close together is is not retracting between them. To change that you would set min jump and Trigger lower or even 0 to force retractions on every move. The reduced wipe should also help a little in this case.

Last thing is the retraction distance of 5mm is the max you should need but in some cases it can actually be to much and cause the nozzle to sit still for too long and leave a mark like on the trunk. 4.5mm works well for most materials and some can be as low as 4mm.

For the Z banding I am sure you have read the previous threads about that so I will not get back into it here.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 28, 2014 03:01PM
Thanks for the tips, Sublime. You're right about the Z banding I just forgot to mention it.

One other concern was looping on overhangs. The picture quality was pretty crap but if you look at the ears you can see a little bit, as well as at the edges of the main body where the legs are.
March 28, 2014 10:00PM
For the ears you may need to fudge things a little. One way would be to print with an even narrower path (narrower than the nozzle possibly) as so it does not push on the previous layer with as much force. You could slow down a little so the previous layer has more time to cool. You can increase the fans as to give more cooling. But ultimately any slope greater then 45 degrees can have issues like that and will require support for a really good finish. Most of the time you can get away with up to a 60 degree slope and only have minor clean up like you have now.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
March 28, 2014 11:08PM
Looking at the settings now, when you say "retraction distance of 5mm", is that bot the prime and suck values?
March 29, 2014 10:59AM
maik
Looking at the settings now, when you say "retraction distance of 5mm", is that bot the prime and suck values?

Yes both of them.

March 29, 2014 10:04PM
Where can I get that elephant STL?, I would be interested to try printing that.
March 29, 2014 10:19PM
First line of OP has the thing: link.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login