Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difficulty sourcing a hobbed bolt

Posted by Inertia 
Difficulty sourcing a hobbed bolt
April 14, 2014 11:27AM
Hi guys, I'm looking into building my own Tantillus soon, but the one part I'm having some extreme trouble finding is the M8 105mm hobbed bolt. I'm in Europe and I can't seem to find anything that goes above 60mm. Could someone point me in the right direction or even advise me on how to make my own? Thanks!
Re: Difficulty sourcing a hobbed bolt
April 14, 2014 11:38AM
I can supply an imperial hobbed bolt and it will only require you to use the large imperial extruder gear. If you are interested PM me and I can give you all the details.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 15, 2014 06:28AM
Hobbed bolts are pretty easy to make: [www.reprap.org]

One of the examples requires no printed parts and only bearings coming with the extruder anyways. Note the thick washer towards the right bearing, it defines where the tap drill rolls and the hobbing apeears. The tap drill is driven by a hand drill at low RPM and rolls against this washer. Time to make: 5 minutes.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

April 24, 2014 05:15PM
I made my own too. I couldn't find M8 x 105, so used M8 x 115 and some M8 washers under the hex nut to get some thread under the nut that is embedded in the large gearwheel. If you are in the UK I would expect most fastener suppliers will be able to sell you one. Get two in case you mess up the first one.

Cheers

Greg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login