Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What are Tantillus folks using other than Kisslicer?

Posted by ronderful 
What are Tantillus folks using other than Kisslicer?
June 01, 2014 09:04AM
I have been getting great prints from Kisslicer, but I have to post-process the gcode file with sed scripts.
Kisslicer puts the wrong temperature values, and the fan speed is way off.
It's a bit of an annoyance as I sometimes forget to do this after sending the file off to print.
I'm using version 1.1.0.14.

Anyone using another slicing software with decent success?

I see Sublime making commits to Cura, but not sure if they are Tantillus specific.
Re: What are Tantillus folks using other than Kisslicer?
June 01, 2014 12:01PM
You can change the temperatures and fan speeds in the material tab of Kisslicer. Also be sure that in the extruders tab in the printer tab you have the correct material assigned to the hotend.

If you would like to try Cura you can try my branch with relative extrusion but you will need to change the profile to match your machine. Just use my calculator to get the correct settings. Also note that Cura does not let you set the extrusion width independently so you need to take the width recommended by my calculator and then multiply it by the number of perimeters you want and then enter that as the "shell thickness". (example: 0.52mm width times 3 perimeters equals 1.56mm)

I have heard many good things about Simplify3D except the price. So it is another option if you want to be a guinea pig and have the money.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 01, 2014 09:42PM
Thanks Sublime.

In Kisslicer, I changed the temperature and fans speeds on the material tab, but it doesn't seem to take - temperature defaults to 220 (M104 S220) in the gcode, and the fan speed at 64 (M106 S64). Plus Kisslicer drops in M107 almost every layer or so, so the fan spins up and spins down almost every layer.

I'm running it on Mac, so not sure if these issues are specific to this OS.

I actually use Simplify3D for other printers with great success, but didn't think about using for the Tantillus because it lacked bowden related features (at least when I first started using it). It seems I was a few releases behind, and looks like
it does support them now (for rostock etc). I'll give the latest version a whirl...
June 01, 2014 10:04PM
ronderful
Thanks Sublime.

In Kisslicer, I changed the temperature and fans speeds on the material tab, but it doesn't seem to take - temperature defaults to 220 (M104 S220) in the gcode, and the fan speed at 64 (M106 S64). Plus Kisslicer drops in M107 almost every layer or so, so the fan spins up and spins down almost every layer.

I'm running it on Mac, so not sure if these issues are specific to this OS.

I actually use Simplify3D for other printers with great success, but didn't think about using for the Tantillus because it lacked bowden related features (at least when I first started using it). It seems I was a few releases behind, and looks like
it does support them now (for rostock etc). I'll give the latest version a whirl...

The reason Kisslicer is not changing the temps is because you have ABS selected in the Printer/extruder tab as the material for the first extruder. Just assign the correct material to the extruder and it will work as intended.

As for Bowden specific features I am unaware of any such features existing in any software. Kisslicer was written to work with really old hardware and firmware from way before anyone thought of using a Bowden tube. The only difference between them would be the retraction settings. The reason I recommend Kisslicer over others is the path planning and lack of bugs. After that I would go with Cura but I still find my self going back to Kisslicer for everything except spiral vase in Cura.

For Simplify3D please do let everyone here know what you think of it and possibly show some side by side comparison prints for those that are tempted by it. From what I have seen of Simplify3d's support generation I wonder if it is written by Jonathon (lonesock) Dummer the writer of Kisslicer. I say this because the support looks the same and Kisslicer is the only other slicer that has working support. That coupled with the fact he dropped off the face of the earth for a few months and during that time someone wrote Simplify3d and after its release he re-appeared.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 03, 2014 12:29AM
Thanks yet again. Looks like I didn't quite follow the UI layout of Kisslicer.

I'll post comparison pictures soon once I dial in the settings on Simplify3D for the Tantillus.
June 10, 2014 09:25AM
Here's a side by side i found:
[blog.mrdoctordiv.com]
June 10, 2014 12:01PM
isonoob
Here's a side by side i found:
[blog.mrdoctordiv.com]

Interesting but too bad he compared S3D to Slic3r. Slic3r in my opinion is at the very bottom of all slicer choices and should not be used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 12:02PM by Sublime.

June 11, 2014 10:01PM
Haha, yeah. I like things that are simple to use. A few tries at Kisslicer and I was out. I'm an easily lost customer, you can imagine. Beg as you might, if I don't like your product I'm not buying it [or using it, in the case of free software].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2014 10:07PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 11, 2014 11:23PM
MrDoctorDIV
Haha, yeah. I like things that are simple to use. A few tries at Kisslicer and I was out. I'm an easily lost customer, you can imagine. Beg as you might, if I don't like your product I'm not buying it [or using it, in the case of free software].

That's actually funny, I hear it both ways very often. If people started with Slic3r they hate the way Kisslicer is termed and layed out. But on the other hand if people start with Kisslicer they say that other programs are strange and layed out weird. In the end Kisslicer is the best free slicer and the results I can find online look like S3D does things almost the same. Cura is also good but lacks a few things.

June 24, 2014 03:20PM
I'm running the latest version of S3D at work, and in either the extrusion tab or the ooze control section there is a setting referred to a coast, if it works in the way that the description leads me to believe then that setting will halt extrusion a specified distance before the machine either changes direction or moves the extruder to a different location or layer. If I undrstand this setting correctly then this means that any excess pressure left in the extruder will be used to extrude the plastic the set distance before a change in direction. I haven't tested it yet to be sure but it appears to me to be a setting to take in account for hystersis in a Bowden system to eliminate the blobs that commonly occure at corners and when the extruder is changed to a different location/layer in the print. If anyone can help me test this to confirm my suspicions then S3D is the first slicer with settings specific to Bowden machines. That is of corse assuming I have interpreted what that setting does correctly. It also appears to have settings to do the same wipe feature as KISS, but I need to test that as well.

I'll keep you guys posted if I can figure it out, any help is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 03:24PM by cns1.
June 25, 2014 01:55PM
Slic3r has a wipe feature. Just throwing that out there for the wolves to chew.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login