Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

12v fans running off 15v power

Posted by Nick101 
12v fans running off 15v power
June 10, 2014 01:03PM
Hi everyone,
I'm currently working to provide a bit more cooling to the extruder motor and ramps board in my Tantillus and so I purchased a couple of small 12v fans, one of them 0.195A and the other 0.11A. I'm using a 15v 6A power supply suggested in the Tantillus BOM. I'd like to have these fans running all of the time so I was thinking about branching them directly off of incoming power but I'd like to hear your thoughts beforehand so I don't accidentally burn my house down smiling smiley I'm sure you can infer properly from my question that I'm a novice when it comes to power and electronics. Thanks for your help!
Re: 12v fans running off 15v power
June 10, 2014 01:34PM
One of two things will happen. Either they will run just fine (like all the ones I use that are all 12v) or the fan will die. If you are really concerned or if the fans are expensive you could get a voltage regulator from eBay.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Re: 12v fans running off 15v power
June 10, 2014 02:12PM
I'm not worried about the fans as they are cheap so I guess I'll go ahead and give it a try. Thanks for the help Sublime!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login