Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

tantilot ( tantilus and core xy )

Posted by ekaggrat 
tantilot ( tantilus and core xy )
July 01, 2014 07:01AM
This printer is mix match of a lot of printers based on the coreXY and the tantillus . My aim was to make a printer that was fast compact sturdy and neat. I have put all the parts of the printer within the frame and nothing sticks out except for the bowden cable. This saves the printer from breakage during transport and as a bonus it is easy to create a heated chamber.
All the axis move using a spectra cable instead of a belt..
The size of the printer is 240 x 240 x 300 mm
the build volume is 100 x 150 x 110 mm

thingiverse

Re: tantilot ( tantilus and core xy )
July 03, 2014 12:34AM
July 03, 2014 07:06AM
sure i will make it once i get finish making the sanguish board.. I am trying to see how low in cost can i take the printer to and still keep quality and speed..
September 09, 2014 03:00PM
Downloaded the files from Thingiverse. Started building yesterday, and have almost all of the plastic printed. Got the frame cut up and built. Some pictures of the progress below:
Waiting for the bearings to come in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 03:02PM by mondo50m.
Attachments:
open | download - MILTSPC - SAM_0368.JPG (284.6 KB)
open | download - MILTSPC - SAM_0370.JPG (448.5 KB)
open | download - MILTSPC - SAM_0371.JPG (438 KB)
September 09, 2014 04:41PM
Got the X and Y gantry installed. WHERE ARE MY BEARINGS??? Sorry, didn't mean to holler. The tracker says my bearings will not be hear until Friday. What is a person to do? I should get a full 6.5" in the X and 4.5" in the Y. Need to get the cables installed (if I can figure that part out), then I will Know the actual bed size. Also need to figure out where I am going to put the endstops. WHERE ARE MY BEARINGS!!!

Milt
September 09, 2014 04:47PM
Double post, deleted the copy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 04:47PM by mondo50m.
September 09, 2014 06:49PM
Great work. The bed size is 100 x 150 mm
September 09, 2014 11:09PM
I wasn't too far off. I had to download a demo copy of Rhino in order to get the mirror of the Z bracket and of the idler. First time I have used a program like that. It was easy once I figured out how. Is there a clearer diagram of how to do the cabling? I have tried to think it through and it gives me a headache.

Milt
September 10, 2014 02:14AM
The cable is same as any core xy system. I will send u a diagram as soon as i get home next week. Sorry for the delay.
September 10, 2014 08:13AM
No worries, I do not have any BEARINGS!!

Milt
September 15, 2014 05:19PM
Ok, got my bearings in. I purchased 695zz bearings as they are 13mm in diameter, have a 5mm bore, and are 4mm thick. The y end 'idlers' can handle up to a 16mm diameter bearing. But the x ends can only handle a 13mm bearing. Now I am ready to start cabling the machine. I have been at it for over 2 hours and can not figure out how cables are to be strung. Will have to wait for 'ekaggrat' to come around with a diagram of the routing and the attachment points.

Milt
September 16, 2014 10:47PM
@mondo50m

sorry to keep you waiting. Just got back home from a vacation... i have made some diagrams, hope it clears up the stringing. On the aluminum pulley you need to wind the string 5 times clockwise and 5 time anticlockwise. Start with a knot on the upper left corner on the x carriage,route the string and
tie a knot on the lower right corner. Then start with a knot on the upper right corner, route the string and tie a knot on the lower left corner. It is very tricky to route these strings.

September 17, 2014 09:39AM
Thank you very much for the diagrams. These are really going to help. I would never have figured this out on my own. Will get on it today and post some more pics of the build.

Milt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 09:39AM by mondo50m.
September 17, 2014 11:49AM
So, I have the cables routed as per the diagram. How would you go about attaching the ends to the X carriage? I have a couple of ideas, but could use some input on this. My thought is drilling some small holes in the carriage and running the cable through the holes. The only other thing that I see is that if I take the cables to the extreme high and low of the carriage, the strings will slip away from the groove in the stacked bearings and get caught above the bearing on the 5mm rod that holds the bearings in place. If I keep the strings level with the way that they exit the groove in the bearing, it stays in the groove. Is it OK to run the cables this way or do they have to be at the top and bottom of the carriage?

Milt
September 17, 2014 12:14PM
The carraige already has holes for the strings which line up with the bearing. Please check them
September 17, 2014 12:19PM
I see what you are talking about. I thought (originally) that those were holes to pass the cabling through. DUH!!!

Milt
September 17, 2014 01:56PM
Sorry to be such a bother, but could you explain this type of system to me? It is now to the point that both steppers are used to make the y move back and forth. To make the z move from left to right, requires the independent movement of the steppers. Is this as it should be? I guess, to me, it is a foreign concept, plus being 64 years young does not help.

Milt
September 17, 2014 08:40PM
@mondo50m

the system is based on the corexy. So in marlin you will need to enable the corexy configuration or it will not work. In a traditional xy setup one motor moves the x and the other moves the y. In this setup both the motors move the x and y . So if you dont enable corexy you will get weird movements.

i hope this clears up things..
September 20, 2014 11:09AM
I have found out that making one of these machines requires one to have some knowledge of programming. I am able to open the arduino file and upload the Marlin file into it. Past that, I am lost. I understand that I need to enable the corexy function in the configuration file. But, I am not a programmer and do not know how to do this. I can not even find the corexy configuration in configuration.h. By all indications, I am using Marlin v1. If anyone can point me in the proper direction or send me the marlin firmware already to be used with the corexy system, I would appreciate it. My build is ready to do some testing to make sure the steppers are going to work properly. I have no idea how to do the software part of this build. Help is required.

Milt
September 21, 2014 04:41AM
Well, if you go to Marlin's github repository: [github.com]
then click on Marlin folder: [github.com]
and then on configuration.h file: [github.com]

you will find at lines 303-304 (at least that is now, alternatively, just search for "corexy" on the page:
303 // Uncomment the following line to enable CoreXY kinematics
304 // #define COREXY
Just delete the two slashes ("/") at the beginning of 304, like this:
303 // Uncomment the following line to enable CoreXY kinematics
304  #define COREXY

and you're done. Of course, the modification requires you have all the necessary files on your computer winking smiley

Once, preparing for a "regular" printer, I activated the option by mistake, and it took a while to realize why my X and Y motors are always going together, either the same direction, or the other way around smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 04:41AM by 3Dmaker4U.
September 21, 2014 05:10PM
Awesome. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! So, I do not have to choose a specific type of printer? I mean like regular or Delta....I would guess no as there is no option to choose Corexy. And what do you mean by all of the necessary files? Just Marlin is not enough?

Milt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 05:13PM by mondo50m.
September 21, 2014 10:19PM
use this config file and replace it in your marlin folder...
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (33 KB)
September 22, 2014 02:31PM
GREAT!!! One step further into getting this done. I am at a standstill right now as I need to free up some space in the house to finish the build. Have to have the laptop handy in case I need it. It is brand new, so taking it to the shed is out of the question. Will get some pics taken and posted soon.

Milt
October 06, 2014 02:45PM
So far, so good. Hooked up the laptop to the Tantilot and the x and y axis are running. Need to find spots for the endstops. One problem with the bearings. Because they are stacked, if the cable is pulled tight, it can, and did end up creeping between the bearings. I solved this by super gluing the two bearings together. I made bearing housings for the idler bearings. Things are coming together, just taking more time than I imagined.

Milt
October 07, 2014 10:43PM
great to hear about the progress. in the next version i will change the bearings to v-groove ones . This will save space and will be more sturdy to pull the strings..
October 13, 2014 07:32PM
Ok, new problem. I am almost ready to add the J head extruder. I am finding that when I put the J head on and the holder, I loose even more room due to the head and holder being the size that they are. I guess I am going to loose an extra 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. In the present configuration, to get the full 4 inches in the Y direction, the head would be intruding on the cables that cross each other in the front of the unit. I am going to try and move the idlers to a different location. Of course, this means have to make a different holder for the rod that the carriage slides along. Will see what I can do about this. I am not a designer, just a maker, but we will see.

Milt
October 13, 2014 10:08PM
i just realized the error. Sorry about my mistake. I have made a new more compact carraige which will sort the problem.

use the attached stl
Attachments:
open | download - z error.stl (526.6 KB)
October 14, 2014 03:33PM
Awesome...will get this printed up and checked out. Thanks.

Milt
October 17, 2014 08:35AM
Hi, what did you render your machine image with?

Cheers
ian
October 17, 2014 12:37PM
The screen shots are from rhino3d
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login