Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner kit Tantillus

Posted by Wychy7 
Beginner kit Tantillus
July 18, 2014 09:05AM
Hi everybody.

I am teacher of high school from Spain.
I am very interested to introduce me in 3dprinter world to teach my pupils. A friend recommended this 3dprinder.

I would like to adquire a kit to build my tantillus but I dont find any provider in the web.

Can you help me?

Thanks and regards
Re: Beginner kit Tantillus
July 22, 2014 04:38PM
I am new to 3D printing, but I was told that the tantillus was an older design with a few flaws to it.

Was there a reason it was recommended for you? What kind of budget do you have?
July 23, 2014 03:21AM
Here is my opinion on the machine. I have been running mine for almost a year.

The good:
The machine being small means the accuracey is extremely good. I get better results than most comercial filament 3D printers. It is portable as it is small. With a few upgrades it can be an incredible machine. Single Z motor is also good. I like the form factor too,

The not so good
It is a little harder to build than some machines because of the strings, but the strings are what make it so fast and accurate. Adding a heated bed is difficult and it requires a bit of work. The plastic gears rattle and wear but you can swap them for belts and pulleys without too much work. The bed has limited space.

I would say enginerring skill required is a 4 out 5 versus 3 out 5 for some common machines. But accuracy (if built well) is 4.5 out of 5 versus 3 out of 5 for a lot of other machines.

If you want to build small precision parts like me then it is pretty hard to beat this machine. If you want to build bigger less precision parts with a common heated bed then maybe another choice is more suited.

The best thing is you get regular free support from Sublime via this forum which is priceless. I am not en expert so others may chime in and point out where I am wrong.

Cheers
Keith
July 24, 2014 03:51AM
You might also find this of interest - available locally with Spanish support:
[store.bqreaders.com]
July 24, 2014 05:03AM
Every Prusa I have seen has the Z steppers in parallel and the Z motors are not coupled together. This means if someone walks up and hand turns one motor (as they do) the whole machine is screwed until you fix it.

Also running steppers in parallel is down right wrong if you understand the dynamics. This means your Z axis will randomly be misaligned on microsteps. It would only take 20 mins to fix the firmware so the Z motors could have their own driver by using the E1 driver.

I have a friend that has two of these and he spends all his time fiddling with it trying to get his prints to come out like my Tantillus. I am not sure what machines are good but there must be a nicer design than the Prusa for a simple low cost machine.

End of rant and sorry for all the Prusa bashing lol.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login